GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: front windshield trim (woe)

Default front windshield trim (woe)

Recently a few silly( ) but expensive things have happened to my little bimmer.

The following pieces ripped off my front windshield while I was driving down the highway.

51318117457 - DECORATIVE FRAME LEFT
    51318117458 - DECORATIVE FRAME RIGHT
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...51&fg=05&hl=21

I did not realize what had happened when they fell off, so I did not see they were gone until I had gotten to my house. I thought they would be cheap to replace but... bavauto lists them at $115 each! Not only this, but after searching this forum, people have said that the only way to replace them is to reinstall the windshield!

I was wondering what the best source to find these pieces would be. Is bavauto's price reasonable? Is it possible to get them INTACT and ready to install from a junk yard? Will I really need to reinstall the @#$&ing windshield?

Thanks,
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by [1990]525
    Recently a few silly( ) but expensive things have happened to my little bimmer.

The following pieces ripped off my front windshield while I was driving down the highway.

51318117457 - DECORATIVE FRAME LEFT
    51318117458 - DECORATIVE FRAME RIGHT
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...51&fg=05&hl=21

I did not realize what had happened when they fell off, so I did not see they were gone until I had gotten to my house. I thought they would be cheap to replace but... bavauto lists them at $115 each! Not only this, but after searching this forum, people have said that the only way to replace them is to reinstall the windshield!

I was wondering what the best source to find these pieces would be. Is bavauto's price reasonable? Is it possible to get them INTACT and ready to install from a junk yard? Will I really need to reinstall the @#$&ing windshield?

Thanks,
    Joe
    I have a parts car with a broken windshield. Because the windshield is broken already it should not be hard to pull the trim off intact. PM me if you are interested in buying it cheaper then dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by dennyg
    I have a parts car with a broken windshield. Because the windshield is broken already it should not be hard to pull the trim off intact. PM me if you are interested in buying it cheaper then dealer.
    hey denny! whatsup?! by any chance do you have an e38 shift console?im planning to make that mod but I cant find one here...

HID 5000k low 3000k fogs
    dynaudio seps. mc intosh amp
    ACS w/yokohama advan sport tires
    Race logic TractionControl

They are expensive buggers. the same thing happened to me. There is also a small joiner centre piece at the top middle. You dont need to take the windscreen out!! but you will need the plastic little clips, from memory there were about 20 and they were about a buck each from the stealer. when i put them on i just used a stanley knife to trim the platsic clips up a bit so they would recess into position at the edge of the windscreen, hasnt moved in 4 years! best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by mattyb
    They are expensive buggers. the same thing happened to me. There is also a small joiner centre piece at the top middle. You dont need to take the windscreen out!! but you will need the plastic little clips, from memory there were about 20 and they were about a buck each from the stealer. when i put them on i just used a stanley knife to trim the platsic clips up a bit so they would recess into position at the edge of the windscreen, hasnt moved in 4 years! best of luck
    I assume this piece comes as a combo with the plastic trim piece, along with the rubber gasket/gutter attached?
    -Trevor Ely

'88 535is
    '95 M Sport 540i (1 of 200)
    '91 M5

It's funny (not), the previous owner changed out the left side, but not the right. The right side has now lost some minor pieces. It's just a little cosmetically unpleasant, but doesn't leak. I'll replace it if and when I replace the windshield

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

when i baught mine from the stealer years ago. it was the trim piece only. no plastic clips etc. just the trim only and three separate pieces at that. I think the left and right were Au $200 each and the centre bit was $25.00. needed to be ordered separately.

Quote Originally Posted by mattyb
    when i baught mine from the stealer years ago. it was the trim piece only. no plastic clips etc. just the trim only and three separate pieces at that. I think the left and right were Au $200 each and the centre bit was $25.00. needed to be ordered separately.
    So, the rubber gasket/gutter isn't attached to the plastic portion of the 'decorative moulding'?
    -Trevor Ely

'88 535is
    '95 M Sport 540i (1 of 200)
    '91 M5

No, not on mine they were not so I'd assume its the same all over