GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Is this a coolant hose?

Default Is this a coolant hose?

Made it right up to my house tonight, then noticed the coolant temp was way high (not yet red). Didn't see any steam with hood down. Open the hood and got just a small bit of steam. Poked around a bit (coolant system was gone thru thoroughly last summer), and found that this hose was completely off the nipple. It's coming off the air filter housing and looks like it goes to the bottom left of the intake. Can that be a coolant hose? Can't find it in the Bently manual.

Anyway, I'll let it cool, reconnect the hose, top off the coolant (it's low but not gone), crank it up and see what happens.
    Scott
    '93 525iT 245k miles (sold, but not forgotten)
    '11 TSX Sport Wagon
    '00 328i
    '78 MGB
    '08 Saab Aero

no...

edit:
    Last edited by Evan; 07-30-2007 at 06:41 PM.
    1994 540ia|Oxford Green Metallic|Lemforder|KYB in H&R|18" OE Staggered M-Parallel with Pirelli P-Zero

Yes. Unless I've misinterpreted the angle of the photo, the circled object is the temperature-operated valve for the water jacket on the throttle body, designed to circulate warm coolant around the throttle body to prevent icing in cold, damp weather. Looks like the nipple has broken off.

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas

Dave, I think you are correct. The nipple tip did break off in the hose. I reattached it as best as possible,topped up the coolant, and tried it out. Still overheated. Driver's side hose hot, passenger side hose cool, no change in coolant height in reservoir - means thermostat stuck closed right? That's easy enough, although this would be the .... 4th time it's been replaced.

Unfortunately that would appear to be the least of my problems. Car is dripping oil or trans fluid really bad. So I don't know if I totally missed the car overheating today (I was distracted all day by death of co-worker) and it was a lot hotter than I thought and cracked something in the 7 mile 20 minute commute or what. It got dark out, I got disgusted and didn't even jack it up to see. What's another $1000 repair bill....
    Scott
    '11 TSX Sport Wagon
    '00 328i
    '78 MGB
    '08 Saab Aero

if the plastic nipple is broken you can connect the hoses together, i like to totally bypass the throttle body and connect those two hoses together, one hose comes off the hose going under the intake to the firewall and the other comes outta the head, they loop through the throttle body and through that plastic hunk o ****
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Didn't even think of that, good idea. So is there no purpose to the hunk-o-**** other than to break? (Can't find it on RealOEM.com either)

This looks like it from the BMA website, $41:

Still, so much oil drippage...
    Last edited by ScottyWM; 07-30-2007 at 08:45 PM.
    Scott
    '11 TSX Sport Wagon
    '00 328i
    '78 MGB
    '08 Saab Aero

but it does it so well

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyWM
    So is there no purpose to the hunk-o-**** other than to break? (
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Topping up the rad probably didn't re-fill the cooling system, if most of the coolant pumped out through the broken valve. You need to re-fill and bleed the whole system, not just the expansion tank.

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas

Yeah, but right now there is no coolant flow. I'm guessing the thermostat is stuck closed. I don't think any coolant leaked from the hose on that busted auxilliary thermostat. There wasn't any big coolant loss, or any spewing hot coolant, just the overheating.

Also guessing that the overheating cooked the rear main seal and that's what is leaking the oil. (It had a small leak before) There isn't any mixed oil/coolant that I can find so I hope the head gasket is okay.
    Scott
    '11 TSX Sport Wagon
    '00 328i
    '78 MGB
    '08 Saab Aero