GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: OT: attaching compressor clutch to air con compressor for an opel

Default OT: attaching compressor clutch to air con compressor for an opel

howdy,
    Due to the fantastic nature of GM build quality, my gf's air conditioner clutch fell off.

This is what the compressor looks like.
    I am pretty sure that it will be similar in assembly to this http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...20&hg=64&fg=50
    I'll be buying a second hand compressor and removing the clutch from it and installing it on the existing compressor in situ. Because there will be no need to then regas the system i save some money compared with replacing the compressor with a new one. It has been done before with this type of car, But i am a bit vauge on the steps and i am just wondering whether anyone has done this type of job before and whether they can advise me on the procedure and any advice.
    Last edited by rob101; 07-30-2007 at 06:41 PM.

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

Feel free to chime in, i am not looking for model specific information. Just in general if anyone's done a similar job of replacing a compressor clutch on any type of car.

I did mine a few years ago:

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showpos...27&postcount=7

Not much to it. I didn't take the clutch stator (coil windings) off but should be intuitive once you get to it, should only take another operation with the gear puller or perhaps it's bolted on, I didn't notice that detail.
    gale
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo project finally underway!

Quote Originally Posted by gale
    I did mine a few years ago:

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showpos...27&postcount=7

Not much to it. I didn't take the clutch stator (coil windings) off but should be intuitive once you get to it, should only take another operation with the gear puller or perhaps it's bolted on, I didn't notice that detail.
    thanks thats a big help, i think the electro magnet is still on its the end clutch plate itself that has fallen off (yay!)

it all depends what got trashed as the old clutch fell off and what part fell off, if the face plate fell off that's not a huge deal, the flat springs that hold the contact ring to the hub frequently break on sanden compressors, one of the bitch parts will be getting the hub/face plate off the shaft, most sandens hold onto their plates fairly hard, i made a slide hammer attachment to pull them off using the 3 threaded holes, i made another to pull it off like a steering wheel puller when i don't have free access to the front, if the pulley let go it probably trashed something on the way off, sometimes it will break the snap ring groove off the snout, sometimes the bearing will lock up and grind down the snout so that a new bearing won't fit snug, penitrating oil and care gets the pulley off, you can use a 3 jaw puller on it but if you pull too hard you can tear up or bend the pulley which will **** the belt
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

well winfred, I think the pulley's okay, its still there and seems to track true. there is a bit of a rattle which could be from the A/C pulley bearing. I'll have to have a closer look.

Basically i am prepping my gf's abortion of a german car for sale and then she's getting an e36 318ti. (thank god)