GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Removing Sunroof Panel?

Unregistered Guest

Default Removing Sunroof Panel?

Hi -

The cloth is coming apart from teh foam on the leading edge of teh sunroof. I want to pull the panel off the car so that I can do a proper repair. ANy ideas on how to do this and any glues or other ways to rebond the cloth? I assume that the backing on the cloth is a deteriorating foam rubber...\

TIA,

Jim

Unregistered Guest

Ttt

It's easy- open the sunroof maybe 2/3 of the way, and look into it head on, from the front to the rear. You should see a pair of clips on each side that hold onto a pin the size of a pencil, vertically. Push the lower panel (the one you're trying to remove, with the fabric on it) towards the rear of the car while pulling the clips apart and it should seperate with a bit of effort. Mine was on pretty tight but was able to come off. The clips part side to side, releasing the pin and allowing for movement. Once that's loos, you can fanagle it out whichever way possible, but you may want to slide it farther back to clear the lower pins at the rear of the sunroof, which are attached to clips on the panel and are what makes the panel bend when you tilt the roof open for ventilation.

Getting the whole thing back on is a pain- make sure you don't force anything, since the panel's frame is thin metal and bends easily. The clips for the rear are also easily cracked.

Custom Turbocharged 1991 535iM - 135k mi.

Unregistered Guest

Default I just fixed this!

There is a product from Wurth that is absolutely amazing for headliners and door panels. All it takes is a little squirt and the headliner on the panel has not come undone in a month. And we have had all types of temps here in Chicago. Just do not spray too much of it as it will soak through the fabric. It is called Wurth Spray Adhesive and in a 12 oz. can it can be used for a variety of stuff. Check this link:

http://www.goodspeedmotoring.com/subcat.php?man_id=14

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    Ttt

Unregistered Guest

Default Forgot to add...

.. do not remove the headliner. Just pull back enough to spray in there along the leading edge. When finished spraying, take a bunch of little binder clips and leave them on overnight for the adhesive to dry and in the morning you will have a functioning sunroof again.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    There is a product from Wurth that is absolutely amazing for headliners and door panels. All it takes is a little squirt and the headliner on the panel has not come undone in a month. And we have had all types of temps here in Chicago. Just do not spray too much of it as it will soak through the fabric. It is called Wurth Spray Adhesive and in a 12 oz. can it can be used for a variety of stuff. Check this link:

http://www.goodspeedmotoring.com/subcat.php?man_id=14

Unregistered Guest

I like the binder clips!