GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: who was it that wanted me to try mmo in my truck?

Default who was it that wanted me to try mmo in my truck?

just completed one tank with it and got 16.6 over 470 miles which is right in the middle of my range, i hit this tank with mmo and have enough to dose one more tank
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

That was me... mmm... so was it helpful as in increase in fuel mileage?

nope, i am exactly in the middle of the normal range of 16.2-17
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

I see... Maybe with your modified truck... there is not much difference in fuel mileage. On my MB, I gained 5 MPG fuel mileage. Most older MB diesels gained about that much.

haven't seen too many things bump mileage more then maybe 1 on the turbo diesel register and some of the guys on there run some cocktail mixes of various additives, my truck is hurt by a few things on mileage, 4.10 gears, flatbed and it's a cab & chassis which has the same front profile/height as a 4wd, mods actually don't really hurt mileage on these trucks, one guy on tdr drove a couple hundred miles to a dyno event in texas pulled 870 hp 1423 foot pounds of torque and drove it home, he got a little better then 20 mpg for the trip which included the pulls, and that's with a low compression pdr race motor, 15.5-1 if i remember right instead of the normal 17.5-1 (low comp to run more boost, he was probably 75-100 psi)
    Last edited by winfred; 07-30-2007 at 11:59 AM.

the only real differences i can think of is the cummins is direct injection where the benz is indirect with pre chambers, and the benz has higher compression 19-1 to 22-1 depending on year and model vs my 17.5-1, they run a very similar injection pump, the pump side with the plungers and barrels is the same but they have different advance and fuel control sections, i am guessing it's combo of higher compression and pre chamber vs direct that benefits from a additive, my direct injection has no combustion chamber in the head it's flat with the valves slightly recessed so they don't protrude, the combustion chamber is all in the piston, it's a good sized bowl with a center post and the injector sprays directly into the deep part of the bowl, the benz has about the same head design except that the injector sprays into a metal chamber inside of the head between the valves that also houses a glow plug, the bottom of the chamber opens into the cylinder with 5 little holes that circle the end and they dump into a funky shaped fluted dished piston, the flutes line up with the holes in the pre chamber

I think it boils down to aerodynamic for your truck... MMO boost the cetane so theoretically should have yield more fuel mileage... unless you are really a heavy metal type of driver...

yea but with no real change in driving if theres a usable to my engine improvement it should still show up, i am suprised to see a 5 mpg change on your benzes, it may be in effect bumping the timing up a little with the cetane boost which is helping with the mileage, the mercedes runs the pump off the timing chain and after 25 odd years the stretch has retarded the pump timing a few degrees, my truck A) runs a gear train and B) i have advanced the timing for power/efficiency. i do flog the **** outta it but that's nothing new, i've been flogging the **** outta it for almost 20k miles and thusly i know what it'll get at the pump with in about a half mpg variance

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    I think it boils down to aerodynamic for your truck... MMO boost the cetane so theoretically should have yield more fuel mileage... unless you are really a heavy metal type of driver...

filled up last night at 475 miles and got 16.7, last tank with mmo in now

Mmm... I wondered if the consistency is aided by MMO in your case.... You practically got the same fuel mileage at last time. Let see for the next few tanks to see if the fuel mileage start fluctuating.

I am looking at my fuel gauge to what I drove... and it is still confirming 30+MPG in local driving... whereas I was only getting like 25. My car need servicing anyway... My fuel mileage dropped off ever since I bought it... When I bought it, I got 30 MPG average... and then like 2 years ago, it dropped down to 25 MPG.

I really need to find a MB service manual on MB Diesel only... that way I can service it myself.

Thanks for trying the experiment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast