GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Some advice please - new car purchase!

Default Some advice please - new car purchase!

Hi there, Ive been looking around with a friend as he's after an older BMW (i like to call them vintage!), and we've found one that's perfect...

The only thing that i am feeling cautious about is that when i checked the oil filler cap for him there was a small amount of residue, some of which was white and some a little like the dreaded chocolate milkshake that i hear so much about. It wasn't much at all, but I'm certainly no expert (yet a bit paranoid) on the subject i just know to check for it. There was no oil in the coolant, the levels were fine, no lights on the dash and everything else was spot on. Its a K reg (1993) e36 BMW by the way. (I know this is the 5 series section but i trust you guys!!!!).

The car drove sweetly and only has 89k on the clock so i wouldn't expect it to have headgasket problems but you can't be too careful. What do you think, is a little residue normal?

If all is ok he'll be picking it up tomorrow, so fingers crossed for good news. (We've been searching around a LOT for a good specimen to come along!).

Many thanks in advance, John.
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

Quote Originally Posted by e34.535i.sport
    What do you think, is a little residue normal?
    A little residue is normal if the vehicle has only been driven short distances, such that condensation in the engine hasn't had the time or temperature to boil off.

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas

Default Thanks!

There's been some delays so he hasn't signed and sealed the deal yet but we went down today for another look and the oil cap was clean, nothing on it.

Thanks for the advice, being paranoid is a terrible thing!

why not drop the oil to be sure? the owner won't mind if you replace it with brand new oil (free oil change for him) and it's a cheap way to settle any nagging doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo
    why not drop the oil to be sure? the owner won't mind if you replace it with brand new oil (free oil change for him) and it's a cheap way to settle any nagging doubts.
    Thanks I would never have thought of that, and we have some magnatec to do a change once he gets it. Not sure this guy will be up for that though but i'll see how it goes... People selling cars these days act as though its an inconvenience for them when you come to view it - we've been down twice but you can't be too careful.

Cheers for the suggestion, much appreciated.