GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Mono Wiper conversion

Quote Originally Posted by Bin_jammin
    Actually, it's not opinion, it's fact. And this isn't a personal attack, just pointing it out, but if you've got two blades of (for argument's sake) 19", and they're doing sweeps that cover approximately 1/2 of a full circle, that gives you a total area swept of

A (area) = 3.14 (pi) r (radius - 19" for each wiper) square

that gives you an area for each wiper circle of 567 square inches (rounded up) and then halved because it's only traveling half the sweep of the circle. Two of them makes 1134 square inches covered by two wiper blades.

A single 26 inch wiper would only cover 1061 square inches, and it would have to do it in twice the time in order to do it as effectively as two wipers.

Basically, it's why most cars have multi-valve heads these days (the exception typically being pushrod engines). Manufacturers figured out you can get tons more airflow at much lower overall valve lift with two smaller valves than you could out of one larger valve. Think "Japanese" multivalve.

I recall a company called Dominion, they made a multivalve head for the Small Block Chevy, by using a forked rocker arm to actuate the valves. They had something like 1.8" intake valves, and they found that their two valves, at .400" lift, would flow better than a single 2.20" valve at .600" lift. That doesn't just mean that they perform better, it means less valvetrain wear, because you don't have such steep ramp angles on your cam lobes, and it means less valvetrain reciprocating losses, because you don't need retardedly strong valvesprings in order to keep the valves from floating with that much lift at high rpm. Don't know whatever happened to Dominion, but there's a company here http://www.araoengineering.com/ that does the very same thing.
    Agree totally within the subject of "head flow". My Japanese RB26DETT is a good example.(Nissan GT-R Skyline).Flows much better than my other Datsun Z engines with single OHC and fewer valves. Same displacement.(2.6)
    But in regards to the dual wiper blades....are you subtracting, fairly ,the "overlapping" area ?? As well as areas that visually are perhaps outside the visual regions?
    No biggie to me.Its been fun talking about the personal differences on this though,
    Vinny
    AC Schnitzer | S-5 | Stainless exhaust | Bodykit | wing| 3pc. wheels | badges | springs | mirrors | steerwheel |
    Schwarz on Blk

Quote Originally Posted by Booster
    Agree totally within the subject of "head flow". My Japanese RB26DETT is a good example.(Nissan GT-R Skyline).Flows much better than my other Datsun Z engines with single OHC and fewer valves. Same displacement.(2.6)
    But in regards to the dual wiper blades....are you subtracting, fairly ,the "overlapping" area ?? As well as areas that visually are perhaps outside the visual regions?
    No biggie to me.Its been fun talking about the personal differences on this though,
    Vinny
    Oh god, let someone ELSE do the math on a Saturday afternoon I did my part! I think I've proven my point though, the wiper blade you would need on a single would have to be enormous, and the added speed of the single blade would be stupid, so it's really not worth it by the numbers.

actually he needs to redo the math... area swept is approximately 100 - 120 degrees.

my problem with it is the extreme left of the screen is better covered by a two wiper system (vertical from left and arcing to the right)... and that is the one i am looking thru.
    overlapping coverage etc be damned... the arc of the screen is goign to leave a significant uncovered area on the lefthand side... right where I (at 6') will be looking thru...

The Mecedes gets around this somewhat by having the arm shorten as it reaches vertical (to fit the largest blade possible) and extend agina as it sweeps off vertical to make the swept area fatter to the L & R. This would not be possible with a rigid arm, and to me the Mercedes were tolerable but not optimal.

I live in a Desert, so it is either very little rain, or a freaking Monsoonal Downpour. Being originally from MS, I am more concerned with performance during 3" per hour downpours, though they may be only occasional here.

Like I said, I am happy with what i have, and to me the asymmetrical
    aesthetic when parked + less coverage in front of the driver outweigh the esthetics during operation.

I would love to see a quick vid of the ACS piece in operation and observe the actual coverage... who knows I might change my mind on it's practicality.
    Last edited by attack eagle; 07-28-2007 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by attack eagle
    actually he needs to redo the math... area swept is approximately 100 - 120 degrees.

my problem with it is the extreme left of the screen is better covered by a two wiper system (vertical from left and arcing to the right)... and that is the one i am looking thru.
    overlapping coverage etc be damned... the arc of the screen is goign to leave a significant uncovered area on the lefthand side... right where I (at 6') will be looking thru...

The Mecedes gets around this somewhat by having the arm shorten as it reaches vertical (to fit the largest blade possible) and extend agina as it sweeps off vertical to make the swept area fatter to the L & R. This would not be possible with a rigid arm, and to me the Mercedes were tolerable but not optimal.

I live in a Desert, so it is either very little rain, or a freaking Monsoonal Downpour. Being originally from MS, I am more concerned with performance during 3" per hour downpours, though they may be only occasional here.

Like I said, I am happy with what i have, and to me the asymmetrical
    aesthetic when parked + less coverage in front of the driver outweigh the esthetics during operation.

I would love to see a quick vid of the ACS piece in operation and observe the actual coverage... who knows I might change my mind on it's practicality.
    I'm attemting to get vid of this mod in action for us to see,I'm sure it'll still look odd in motion. I'm going to attempt the mod later and I'll post a vid of it from inside the car while hittingit with the hose/carwash etc.
    It may suck or be worse...lol.
    Vinny
    AC Schnitzer | S-5 | Stainless exhaust | Bodykit | wing| 3pc. wheels | badges | springs | mirrors | steerwheel |
    Schwarz on Blk

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345