GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Overheating?! Not Again!!!

Default Overheating?! Not Again!!!

Car over heats only when i'm stopped at an incline... Why is this?

New water pump, fan and clutch, replaced all belts, no coolant loss, coolant is fairly new. What gives?

thermostat??

don't really know your cooling system but anytime my needle goes past half way i have some air in the system.

bilstin HDs, eiback prokit, K&N instert, DEPO fogs, sound system, zimmerman rotors, metal master

Did you replace your stat man? If not do it and bleed it properly. Other than that give your radiator a good clean inside and out

This is kinda a dumb question but will a high performance water pump do a better job of keeping the car cool and keep it from over heating in higher temps?
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by ///Sniper535

New water pump, fan and clutch, replaced all belts, no coolant loss, coolant is fairly new. What gives?
    like the others said, thermostate, or the system isn't bled properly.

what you do is first replace the thermostate...and then fill it with coolant.

run the car until it get's warm, turn the heating fully on, and then on the cooler under the bonnet, you have a little screw near the big cap where you pour the coolant in. you unscrew it gently until air starts flying out. when all the air is gone, and it starts to lose water thru that screw, then simply screw it back in and it's done.

check if the coolant level is in place, if not, pour some more and you're done.

Quote Originally Posted by ///Sniper535

Nobody asked so I will...nose up the hill or down?

If nose up then the 'air bubble' should be in the front of the engine, possibly starving the water pump for liquid to move around. Which means no coolant flow in the engine...

If it overheats with the nose down, well then I don't really know. Could it be that your new pump was set up wrong from the factory causing low output for a given shaft speed?

Either way, making several bleeding attempts sounds to be in order. I just had my radiator blow out and get replaced. The shop bled the system with the heater valves shut I think as after driving it and using the heater a little, I had to add two cups of coolant to get the level back to the cold minimum.

If you are sure the system is airless, then you have to look at parts failure.

Brian

No air in the system. Car overheats on at angle facing down or up. The first time it happened it was facing up. The second time if was facing up. I tried the bleed screw last night and just coolant came out. The only thing i haven't changed would be the thermostat...

Any chance fluid has leaked out of the fan clutch? Though your symptoms do sound like air trapped in the cooling system, the fan clutch contains a hydraulic fluid; it will just freewheel if the fluid is absent.

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas

okay, try the fan clutch. when your car is hot, turn the engine off. try to move the fan clutch with your hand, if it moves rather easily. it's broken.

i bought a new fan clutch like a month ago.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast