GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: How are the E30's? Friend looking to buy one.

Default How are the E30's? Friend looking to buy one.

Was just curious about how the E30s are (Im assuming that thats the correct designation of a US 1991 3 series 318i). Are they reliable? Good cars? Any info at all would be helpful.
    BMW 1995 525i E34 Sedan with an M50 and Auto Trans
    Produced in 5/1994

The '91 318iS is a very reliable car. It was only made one year for the US. Again, BMW engineers put their talents to the test.

It was intended as an entry level compact with some kick. The kick comes from the high reving 1.8 liter 4 cylinder engine. A 16 valve, (sodium filled exhaust valves) hollow twin cam engine that loves the higher RPM range. It's not much off the line but will hold it's own on the highway because of the power to weight ratio. This coupled with the 5 speed makes it a blast to drive. It's quick and nimble and well balanced for a small car. The "iS" model was the one that sported Recarro style sport seats, front air dam, rear heck spoiler, brake cooling vents, and shadowline trim, all from the factory. The suspension on this model was of the M-Technic variety and would provide great handling with a slightly lowered stance. Fuel mileage will average 25-28 mpg and a consistant 30mpg on the highway.

There isn't a lot of frills on the 318, but that also goes a long way in the reliability column. Some things to watch for trouble are fuel pumps, window switches, brake calipers, profile gaskets (that's a big one) and oil leaks from the front right side of the engine. Keep in mind that these cars are approaching 17 years old and they will require some work sooner or later. But the grin factor will sure to outweigh the upkeep on one of these models.

Good luck with your search for the right one!

JR

Its not a 318i, but my '87 325iS is a blast. It's motor has suffered many brutal years with its previous owners, yet it's still a strong and reliable car at 179k miles.
    InDEuroz | e34 540i/6 '94 w/ bore/stroked m62 | e30 325iS '87 | Ducati 748R '00

Quote Originally Posted by Macv
    Its not a 318i, but my '87 325iS is a blast. It's motor has suffered many brutal years with its previous owners, yet it's still a strong and reliable car at 179k miles.

I love the 87 325is, BMW put everything into that car, the one I have now which I bought since 1999 is going through a huge make over ........

The e30's are VERY fun cars to drive, cheap to maintain and relatively easy to work on. When set up well they are very competitive. There are a few things to look for when purchasing, known rust spots etc. For a 20 year old car there will be issues unless taken care of by the owner.

http://bmw.turboready.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=287
    Last edited by Turbo Ready; 08-08-2007 at 08:15 PM.
    BMW, THE ULTIMATE FLYING MACHINE

SPEED AND POWER IS NOTHING WITHOUT CONTROL,
    THANK THE GERMANS, BMW HAS ALL 3

A customer of mine is selling one in brand new condition imported from Japan via Germany with the original M tech II kit with only 48,000 Miles (78,000 KM) It was imported into Japan almost new,
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Turbo Ready; 08-08-2007 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Ready
    A customer of mine is selling one in brand new condition imported from Japan via Germany with the original M tech II kit with only 48,000 Miles (78,000 KM)
    Rear

Side. PLEASE IGNORE ALL THE M BADGING, it came in from Japan like that.