GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trans Program!!!! Pls Help!!!!!!!

Default Trans Program!!!! Pls Help!!!!!!!

Hi, everyone. My name is Eric. I bought my 1995 BMW 540i last year with 73000 miles on it. It is about 76000 miles now. Unfortunately, “TRANS PROGRAM” popped up on the dashboard lately. The message popped up mostly when I was on highway and it was usually after about 10 minutes of driving ( first five mins was on local ). About five times it happened when I made a lane change on freeway. One time it happened when I was in local making a left turn. It happened almost every time I went onto freeway. It happened couple times when I was just accelerating when merging onto the freeway. I think it happened 8 out of 10 times I used my car. I brought my car to dealer couple weeks ago. Here is the result on the invoice I got from him. “Ran short test and retrieved fault code 100 (speed monitoring) stored in EGS. Verified the transmission shift quality was poor. Checked transmission fluid – burnt. Recommend replacing transmission to correct internal wear.” He recommended me to have the transmission replaced for $6900 (don’t know if the labor is already included in the price) and I declined it.” Is it that bad that I need to have it replaced? Any suggestions?
    Here are some more information that may help:
    1. The rpm that shown on board is 500 when my car stops. Is that supposed to be 500 or 1000?
    2. Here is how the trans program first happened: I checked the engine oil that morning. The dip stick was kinda stuck. I had to push my fingers onto the mount pretty hard to pull the rod out. I don’t know if that has something to do with the problem here.
    Thank you for reading and hopefully you guys can help me save my $6900.
    Last edited by salasng127; 08-01-2007 at 04:14 PM.

I personally dont know much about this particular problem cuz i havent had it (thank god), but it seems more common on the 540's, it seems like a classic case of the previous owner abusing the car. there is a wealth of info on this forum about this subject, did you try searching before?

EAT Chip/K&N Panel Filter/Blaupunkt MP46/JBL 15" sub/Crimestopper Alarm/e38 basketweaves/Deutschland Plate/Clear Corners

hi eric and welcome. First i'm not that familiar with 540 but mine the normal idle is 750rpm and about your trans program message click here this is very helpful site http://bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/TransProgram.asp

HID 5000k low 3000k fogs
    dynaudio seps. mc intosh amp
    ACS w/yokohama advan sport tires
    Race logic TractionControl

You're in luck. There are many posts for you to read to gather info...

search for "trans program" and "kirt koeller"

You checking the oil had nothing to do with the problem... you most likely need a transmission fluid and filter service... others have fixed the error message by changing solenoids.

The secret is to do your due diligence and isolate the problem with the help of the members of this board and a local professional.

$6900? Don't sweat it.. you'll fix this one for a few hundred and a few hours of your time.
    1994 540ia|Oxford Green Metallic|Lemforder|KYB in H&R|18" OE Staggered M-Parallel with Pirelli P-Zero

Do you guys think that the fault code 100 (speed monitoring) may have something to do with it?
    I actually did go here before --> http://bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/TransProgram.asp
    But I don't know how to fix car at all so I don't want to mess with the wires to cause more problem. So I am coming here and trying to get the exact solution so I can bring it to someone to fix it.
    I actually had the transmission fluid changed last year, it was done by my cousin who is a mechanic.

I have a good 5 speed slush box in my garage collecting dust. Give me an offer I can't refuse.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

I'll let you know if I really need one.... thanks for your offer..
    I am a little worried now because i am going to San Francisco tomorrow. That means I am going to see a lot of uphills and downhills.. I am afraid the car cannot go uphills if trans program is on. My main concern is when my car is completely stopped and need to accerlerate to go uphill.. did anyone have this experience before? any suggestions?

I highly recommend you don't drive your car anymore unitl it is fixed. More driving will kill it and will cost you $6900. Take a different car or rent a car.

What ATF fluid did your cousin put in the trannY?

Car is supposed to idle at 500RPM.

It is probably just the speed sensor that need to be changed.

Default Code 100

Quote Originally Posted by salasng127
    Do you guys think that the fault code 100 (speed monitoring) may have something to do with it?
    I actually did go here before --> http://bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/TransProgram.asp
    But I don't know how to fix car at all so I don't want to mess with the wires to cause more problem. So I am coming here and trying to get the exact solution so I can bring it to someone to fix it.
    I actually had the transmission fluid changed last year, it was done by my cousin who is a mechanic.
    Dont know what gearbox you have but code 100 often means:
    trans/engine ratio not correct for gear selected or
    speed sensor signal faulty or
    slip in transmission too high
    Because of the burnt fluid your garage is going with option 3 - put a new one in and solve the problem. Good luck with the problem but bear in mind Yoefeng's offer. And no, we are not related
    Oct '00 E46 330i. Feb '92 525i (departed)

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser
    Dont know what gearbox you have but code 100 often means:
    trans/engine ratio not correct for gear selected or
    speed sensor signal faulty or
    slip in transmission too high
    Because of the burnt fluid your garage is going with option 3 - put a new one in and solve the problem. Good luck with the problem but bear in mind Yoefeng's offer. And no, we are not related
    option 3?? did u mean slip in transmission too high??
    So does the burnt transmission fluid cause the slip??
    I dont know what "slip in Transmission too high" really means.. but i assume that it might be my problem.. The trans program msessage popped up when I hit the gas a little too hard when changing lane.. If I make smooth turn, it doesnt happen. Am I right at all??

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast