GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Erratic central locking anyone? Read this!

Default Erratic central locking anyone? Read this!

Hi! A slighty different c/l problem here! Over the last few days my car has been locking and unlocking whenever it felt like it - whether it was being driven or parked up. I pulled the rear seat up and felt around under the foam insulation and found the problem - it was SOAKING WET! I loosened the RM/GM casing thingy and lifted it out of the puddle, ripped out the insulation and had a closer look. A green plug with a plastic bag cover over it had filled with water and all the contacts had turned green - crap! So I stripped the boot out as well to see if there was any water in there - yep, the spare wheel well was half full. Bailed that out, then had a look for the leak. I think I found it - some fool had drilled a hole under the boot seal (probably some dodgy alarm installer), so I filled the hole and siliconed in up for now, just to see if the leak comes back. If not then I'm stumped!!

After all this rain we've had, I hope this may help someone!

Shaun M

Quote Originally Posted by E34-520iSE
    Hi! A slighty different c/l problem here! Over the last few days my car has been locking and unlocking whenever it felt like it - whether it was being driven or parked up. I pulled the rear seat up and felt around under the foam insulation and found the problem - it was SOAKING WET! I loosened the RM/GM casing thingy and lifted it out of the puddle, ripped out the insulation and had a closer look. A green plug with a plastic bag cover over it had filled with water and all the contacts had turned green - crap! So I stripped the boot out as well to see if there was any water in there - yep, the spare wheel well was half full. Bailed that out, then had a look for the leak. I think I found it - some fool had drilled a hole under the boot seal (probably some dodgy alarm installer), so I filled the hole and siliconed in up for now, just to see if the leak comes back. If not then I'm stumped!!

After all this rain we've had, I hope this may help someone!

Shaun M
    I'm about to re-install remote central locking under there... wish me luck, the POs have been an absoloute bugger chopping wiring up under there.

Default Remote central locking

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret
    I'm about to re-install remote central locking under there... wish me luck, the POs have been an absoloute bugger chopping wiring up under there.
    I'm getting fed up of my lady gloating cos her Rover has got remote locking and my BM hasnt So I'm hoping you will post some pics etc and maybe I can do a retro fit
    Oct '00 E46 330i. Feb '92 525i (departed)

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser
    I'm getting fed up of my lady gloating cos her Rover has got remote locking and my BM hasnt So I'm hoping you will post some pics etc and maybe I can do a retro fit
    Haha, I had a rover 214i, base spec model that had one of those stupidly overpowered alarms on it - but no central locking.

I got so pissed off with repeatedly setting the alarm off on it I bought a power locking motor for the drivers door from ebay.

I'll do a photo diary of it - managed to pick up a central locking controller from ebay for £19 like thus:

Now lets see if my loom under the rear seats is intact enough that I can actually make it work...

That's too funny. A ROVER owner gloating. Ha Ha Ha

He who laughs last laughs best
    Promise not to make her feel too bad.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Default What Rover?

Quote Originally Posted by Ross
    That's too funny. A ROVER owner gloating. Ha Ha Ha

He who laughs last laughs best
    Promise not to make her feel too bad.
    I bought it cos its got the bomb proof Honda 1.6 16V engine. Had it about 4 years. Starts every time and flies through MOT's. Doesnt lose coolant or burn any oil and uses less than half the fuel mine does. I'd hide the remote but I got her a spare Had enough ... she can make her own dinner tonight...
    Oct '00 E46 330i. Feb '92 525i (departed)

Here's a picture of that hole I found:-

Cheers,

Shaun M