GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine makes a whistling sound :S

Default Engine makes a whistling sound :S

Today I was driving and everything seemed fine. I guess I was slowing down or stopped at a light when my engine started idling rough and making a whistling noise. At first I thought maybe the fan clutch was going and was making the noise since it stopped when I accelerated and started back when I let off the gas. Well, I got home, fired up Carsoft and got the cel code which says 70 Lambda probe or knock-sensor 1 (detination sensor). I was poking around a bit on the forums after I pulled the code and it appears that if this is actually the problem, I need four of these sensors. Another thing to note, the exhaust smells lean, and blew out white smoke when I pulled out of my garage.

While waiting for carsoft to do its thing and pull the codes I stuck my head under the hood and decided that the noise couldn't possibly be the fan clutch but must be something else, unfortunately, I don't know what that something else is. So, to help with diagnosis, I have taken a crappy cell phone video and uploaded it to youtube.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o0k9YvbBjM

Hopefully this helps somewhat, and TIA
    -Patrick

very interesting... has the PCV plate ever been replaced?

the knock sensors sit on top of the block underneath the intake and between the cylinder banks...
    1994 540ia|Oxford Green Metallic|Lemforder|KYB in H&R|18" OE Staggered M-Parallel with Pirelli P-Zero

IT'S TEA TIME

be a dear and take the kettle off the burner love.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

also: the knock sensors are expensive and i've never heard of one going bad... they cost about $80 each
    1994 540ia|Oxford Green Metallic|Lemforder|KYB in H&R|18" OE Staggered M-Parallel with Pirelli P-Zero

According to the records that I have, no, the PCV plate has not been replaced.

the only time i've heard of a whistling sound is when the PCV plate goes bad... the white smoke is an indicator of oil being burned, no?

my uneducated guess is intake gaskets and pcv... a simple, inexpensive job

Thanks Evan, I'll take a look at both and will go from there. Unfortunately, having this problem on Friday makes it quite difficult to get any parts and especially difficult when Monday I start classes.

Thanks again

let me give you some more free advice:

check out your cats... if they're stuffed, they'll cause your motor to run hotter and lead to failure in the long run...

check for leaks in your master cylinder and power steering res... fix them asap if they exist

the intake gaskets/pcv can wait a week.. but don't let it go if there's a problem... you can do them yourself in a day.. parts will be ~$150

My dad just got home and listened to the awful noise my car makes and thinks that it could possibly be a bearing. Could the water pump bearing cause that sound? What other bearings could be the source? I am not saying that it is definately a bearing but could it be a possibility? The test tomorrow will be loosening the belt on the water pump and see if the noise continues.

Thanks for the advice, I'll definately check everything out. Worse comes to worse, I'll be taking the dreaded trip to the dealer and let them rip me off to tell me what else is wrong.

BTW, the white smoke did not continue, it was very brief, but did not smell normal.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrindstaff
    My dad just got home and listened to the awful noise my car makes and thinks that it could possibly be a bearing. Could the water pump bearing cause that sound? What other bearings could be the source? I am not saying that it is definately a bearing but could it be a possibility? The test tomorrow will be loosening the belt on the water pump and see if the noise continues.

Thanks for the advice, I'll definately check everything out. Worse comes to worse, I'll be taking the dreaded trip to the dealer and let them rip me off to tell me what else is wrong.

BTW, the white smoke did not continue, it was very brief, but did not smell normal.

To start, remove your belts and then start the car. If you don't have any more noise, add belts one at a time until you find the noise. If you still have the noise, you've isolated it to the engine. I've heard distributors go bad and make similar noises, I don't know if the m60 has one or not, but a similar type bearing failure would make that type of noise. Also, check your torque converter to flywheel bolts to see if they're tight. Put a rubber pad on a jack and put a bit of load on your exhaust. Try a lot of different things, but mainly see what the general area it's coming from is, report back with findings.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast