GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Stereo guru's.....cd changer help please.

Default Stereo guru's.....cd changer help please.

Hi all, a new problem has just occured in the car (95 540i6),as i was listening to a cd in the changer,all of a sudden "DISK ERROR" showed-up and the changer stopped functioning....any clues???i unplugged the system for a few minutes to try and "re-boot" the system,all of the discs are in the magazin the correct way,they are clean,scratch-free,still no music....
    any other suggestions?.....
    also,while on the subject, this car is by far the most $$$ car ( by the MSRP) i have ever owned,BUT, it has the WORST sound system i have had in any car....i like the head unit and it's functions,but the speakers are terrible,they bust-up at louder volumes,are barely audible w/ the windows open...they really need to be up-graded (maybe even the head-unit).
    I think it is time to consider some of my speaker options....

Michael
    95 540i6 M-Sport
    88 ///M5....FOR SALE

Default Most likely a bad CD changer…

Looks like you have a bad CD changer. DISC ERROR means that the changer is unable to read the disc. It could be a bad laser pickup, motor, etc… Your head unit is O.K. since your getting that message from the changer. You could try to clean the laser lens with aftermarket cleaner but I personally don’t think that stuff works. A friend brought his CD changer in for a repair with the same DISC ERROR and the repair shop wanted $135 or maybe more if special part needed. He purchased used changer from eBay for $145 instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael C.
    Hi all, a new problem has just occured in the car (95 540i6),as i was listening to a cd in the changer,all of a sudden "DISK ERROR" showed-up and the changer stopped functioning....any clues???i unplugged the system for a few minutes to try and "re-boot" the system,all of the discs are in the magazin the correct way,they are clean,scratch-free,still no music....
    any other suggestions?.....
    also,while on the subject, this car is by far the most $$$ car ( by the MSRP) i have ever owned,BUT, it has the WORST sound system i have had in any car....i like the head unit and it's functions,but the speakers are terrible,they bust-up at louder volumes,are barely audible w/ the windows open...they really need to be up-graded (maybe even the head-unit).
    I think it is time to consider some of my speaker options....

Michael
    95 540i6 M-Sport
    88 ///M5....FOR SALE
    RICK
    BMW 1995 525i (Alpine White)

I know there's a guy who advertises in Roundel who repairs BMW/Alpine/Pioneer changers...might have to look him up. Maybe in the archives?

My upgrades for my stereo are here: http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=2759

I am very satisfied with this setup...all bass tones to the sub - leaving crystal clarity (accepting the limitations for the head unit) for 8 speakers (4 tweets - 4 mids)

The Eq makes up for what the stock head unit can't pull, and it has the aux input for ipod and/or XM.

the magazine is stuck/misaligned. if your sure all the discs are in the magazine, you can use a small screw driver to pry it out.

happened a lot on my car. finally, the ejection mechanism broke, and the changer was toast. took the changer out and threw it in the trash. upgraded to a pioneer cd head unit. improved the sound of the speakers a little. i'm also running a sub, which helps a lot.

I had a problem where I ejected the changer, swapped CDs then reinserted the cartridge only to find I a "disk error". Lovely. After shopping around for replacement units I decided on a unit. Went home, ejected the cart, removed the CDs. Put it back in...and the message was gone. Ran through the CDs and it played -apparently one of them didn't discharge and the player didn't like that.

Thanx guys...i've tried removing and replacing....that did no good......i will try to take to "expert" soon.
    don't really want to swap-out changers....but i will if that will take to hear some cd tunes again...
    OR,MIGHT SCRAPE THE WHOLE SYSTEM and go to XM head unit w/ single drawer cd player and maybe some mid $ speakers.....
    Thanx again for the advise
    I will keep you posted...

Michael C.
    95 540i6 ///M-Sport