GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freeze UCA Bushings b4 Install?

Default Freeze UCA Bushings b4 Install?

I have been trying to find a shop to press in my new bushings and a few have mentioned freezing the bushings for a few hours to allow for an easier insertion.Is this something any of you've done before installing them? I found an NTB9National Tire and Battery who has a screw press,t hat's a press with a kind of tall screw and a crank on top they say will do the job without touching the center parts.Should i freeze my bushings overnight before bringing the car to them?
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

what good will that do? the bush has metal around it that slides into more metal on the arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    I have been trying to find a shop to press in my new bushings and a few have mentioned freezing the bushings for a few hours to allow for an easier insertion.Is this something any of you've done before installing them? I found an NTB9National Tire and Battery who has a screw press,t hat's a press with a kind of tall screw and a crank on top they say will do the job without touching the center parts.Should i freeze my bushings overnight before bringing the car to them?

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    what good will that do? the bush has metal around it that slides into more metal on the arm.
    I believe the idea was the freezing will effect a minute shrinkage aiding the insertion ever so slightly.. persoanlly i thought it sounded perfectly ridiculous and caused me to hesitate in considering letting them do the job but they'll do it when i drive in and have me out in an hour or so and have ramp lifts, tools and the press which is more than i have.

Default It's a long used technique

for assembling press fit parts of any kind. I doubt that it would do much good in your case as the bushings wouldn't stay at the lower temperature very long because there isn't much metal in them and they would regain room temp quickly. Also, the amount of shrinkage is in proportion to the mass and there isn't much there. You would be better off to warm the bushing end of the arm with a propane or other low temp torch just before pressing the bushing. Don't warm them too much as the heat will eventually transfer to the bushing, and you don't want damage it. You might gain a half thousandth clearance warming to 200 degrees or so....

Default WTF Oy Vey Mashugana

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    you should have just bought the arms and bushing from BMA and had them come as a completet set.....

The machine shops will hose you...the price goes 2X once you tell them it's a BMW...putz

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

maybe his BJ's are still good though

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bob
    you should have just bought the arms and bushing from BMA and had them come as a completet set.....

The machine shops will hose you...the price goes 2X once you tell them it's a BMW...putz

Default I doubt an uncircumcised

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    maybe his BJ's are still good though
    wanker like him would ever get a "good BJ"

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

lol... well someone has to test the BJ's out then, and I hope your not talking about blow jobs, are you Bob?

Not sure what your problem is but if you were thinking to be referring to me you're not only wrong but are making a foolish ass of yourself. I had you on my blocked list for a long while and removed you recently but it is clear i never needed to and you'll be back there so don't waste your precious time giving your useless self centered,sarcastic replies in my posts. The arms are a year old. The ones they replaced were original. No need to replace the arms as well.

No need for wounded feelings. I think Bob was just illustrating that regardless of the BALL JOINT's condition unless you have your own shop it's easier and likely cheaper to buy the entire arm as has been expressed here about a zillion times. Or am I blocked too?
    Bob, interesting mix of yiddish and brit slang in this thread, keep up the good work.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast