GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Silly Q: Can I just add water to my coolant? (read more)

Default Silly Q: Can I just add water to my coolant? (read more)

Ok, looks like the old lady needs several minor one day surgeries, begining with strut rods, fan clutch, all four wheels, and no possibly a radiator.

When I got the car, all the radiator hoses were lose, so I tot that's where the coolant loss was coming from (few minor leaks), but now, as the coolant continues to disappear, I would imagine that I need either a new radiator or at least hoses (will have to check).

In either case... I've heard that OEM BMW coolant (which is what is in my car) is very specific, and my [rather silly] question is... can I just add water to whatever is there, or should I go out of my way to buy OEM coolant, and proportion is exactly w/ water.

I need whatever amont I'm short in the over-flow tank.
    -Kamil

There should be no harm in adding water to your radiator. Winter is over so the chance of freezing the block is pretty much gone.

The other place you might be losing coolant is through the head gasket. Hopefully, that is not the case. Another is through the heater core and the water pump.

Since you seem to be up for a cooling system redo, consider a new water pump, thermostat, new hoses and perhaps a new radiator. These radiators break easily at the neck so be careful with that. I just ordered a new water pump and hoses, t-stat etc from BMA (www.bmaparts.com - ask for Patrick or Yves). The water pump was only $39.
    Mike Holbrook
    Meridian, Idaho
    1992 535im, 17", Euro M5 Throwing Stars 8's & 9's, FK-451 235/45s & 255/40s, M5 Sway Bars 25/20, Conforti chip, Lowes Ram Air, glass sunroof

Thanks Mike,
    I'm PRAYING that it is not the head gasket... but the car runs just too well for that and exhaust is clean/clear; no smoke.

Definetly not the heater core; water pump, thermostat housing look like they were replaced already. I think the radiator is the culprit.

Thanks!!!

-Kamil