GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rear suspension left/right difference in height??!

Default rear suspension left/right difference in height??!

Hmm. Just took a quick look and found that my left rear wheel sits higher up in the arch by half an inch than the right one. The shocks are definitely good and there's no noticeable difference in handling. There's no extra load on the left side that I know of.
    Can the springs be of different height?

The right hand side has had the upper strut mount replaced (at least that's what I think the round plate with three boltpins is).

If I look real good I can see the difference from a few metres away as the left side of the rear is a little lower.

What's going on?
    2008 audi A3 1.9tdi
    (former 1991 520i LPG)

my car does the exact same thing. are you sure it is on level ground? I changed my springs and shocks several times and it does the same thing so I was thinking: bent sway bar front or rear, or bent frame. I kinda like the way it sits, gives it charactor.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgenster
    Hmm. Just took a quick look and found that my left rear wheel sits higher up in the arch by half an inch than the right one. The shocks are definitely good and there's no noticeable difference in handling. There's no extra load on the left side that I know of.
    Can the springs be of different height?

The right hand side has had the upper strut mount replaced (at least that's what I think the round plate with three boltpins is).

If I look real good I can see the difference from a few metres away as the left side of the rear is a little lower.

What's going on?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Well not really level. But not really sloped either. I thought about that too. I'm guessing it's no big deal then. I'll check on it when the wheels are getting changed in three weeks. Thanks for reassuring me some
    2008 audi A3 1.9tdi
    (former 1991 520i LPG)

you both are fine, everybody's car does that. The masterminds at BMW took into account the weight of the driver to balance out the left side while driving, hence the left side being slightly higher...also why the battery is on the right side of the car. just trying to keep the weight distributed as evenly as possible

Well, I'm actualy saying it's sagging on the left side and it's LHD...
    2008 audi A3 1.9tdi
    (former 1991 520i LPG)

What about your strut mounts? Mine does the same thing. LHD car sagging on the left rear about 1/2 inch. However, I noticed some oil or other stuff leaking from the shock tube so am replacing rear cartridges & mounts, as I'm sure they are shot anyway. Going with Bilstein HD.

Do the springs ever go "bad"?
    '95 540iA ~212k

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer_61
    What about your strut mounts? Mine does the same thing. LHD car sagging on the left rear about 1/2 inch. However, I noticed some oil or other stuff leaking from the shock tube so am replacing rear cartridges & mounts, as I'm sure they are shot anyway. Going with Bilstein HD.

Do the springs ever go "bad"?
    Haven't noticed any leakage. The difference is like 1 cm and the shocks were tested two months ago. Both were at 80%. When the right side strut mount failed I had it replaced so I'm starting to think the left one's on the way out? Can these mounts be compressed or are there different mount heights?
    As for the springs: I'm pretty sure they're the originals and haven't been changed for 300000kms.
    2008 audi A3 1.9tdi
    (former 1991 520i LPG)

Quote Originally Posted by Morgenster
    Haven't noticed any leakage. The difference is like 1 cm and the shocks were tested two months ago. Both were at 80%. When the right side strut mount failed I had it replaced so I'm starting to think the left one's on the way out? Can these mounts be compressed or are there different mount heights?
    As for the springs: I'm pretty sure they're the originals and haven't been changed for 300000kms.
    Don't know if they compress or just get dry rot with age. Probably compress, though. Honestly I won't know exactly what is the cause as I am replacing both strut mounts, shocks & dog bones (pitman arms). All are toast on mine, I'm sure. Pretty sure my springs are original as well, and that's the one thing that I am not doing, as I am not lowering the car. When all's completed, if it still sags, then I guess I'll know that springs were necessary as well.
    '95 540iA ~212k

My RHD car is slightly lower on the right side at the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by myles
    My RHD car is slightly lower on the right side at the rear.
    Is this becomming an epidemic or just now noticed?

I'd like to know if it's fact what the poster above said regarding different ride height to account for the driver's weight. It does make sense. Regardless, our driver sides are lower than passenger which no doubt is not good.

I won't be able to do my replacement work for a couple of weeks as I am going on vacation sans BMW. But I'll know if the replacement parts take care of the sagging problem as soon as the job is completed and will post the results.
    '95 540iA ~212k

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast