GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: what were bmw thinking!!

Default what were bmw thinking!!

ok so i have some pitting on my roof that irritates me (the PO didnt have a garage, no surprise in sydney) so i bought a touch up kit

they have tiny bottles and expect you to use this MASSIVE brush...i mean comon! its a 12ml bottle, that brush can nearly hold 12ml's worth.

so, does anyone have paint scratch tips?
    i have both the paint and clearcoat, ive applied the paint but i dnt know how im going to apply the clearcoat and make it blend in....its going to be this strange looking blob. do i apply a drop's worth and sand it all the way back which will be quite a bit....

tips on how to do paint scratch repair properly would be excellent!
    i have metallic paint (324) oxford green which makes it that much harder
    1995 m50 520i executive

Quote Originally Posted by adashio
    ok so i have some pitting on my roof that irritates me (the PO didnt have a garage, no surprise in sydney) so i bought a touch up kit

they have tiny bottles and expect you to use this MASSIVE brush...i mean comon! its a 12ml bottle, that brush can nearly hold 12ml's worth.

so, does anyone have paint scratch tips?
    i have both the paint and clearcoat, ive applied the paint but i dnt know how im going to apply the clearcoat and make it blend in....its going to be this strange looking blob. do i apply a drop's worth and sand it all the way back which will be quite a bit....

tips on how to do paint scratch repair properly would be excellent!
    i have metallic paint (324) oxford green which makes it that much harder
    This seems pretty OK:

http://web-cars.com/detail/touchup.php
    2008 audi A3 1.9tdi
    (former 1991 520i LPG)

thanks, yeah what i did for one scratch was

used the pointy edge of a compass to roughen up the inside to make the paint stick, then used methelated spirits to clean it down then used a toothpick to apply the paint but the clearcoat wanted to go on in these huge blobs and it didnt want to even out either, humph, will try on some other chips tomorrow i guess.
    1995 m50 520i executive

Quote Originally Posted by adashio
    thanks, yeah what i did for one scratch was

used the pointy edge of a compass to roughen up the inside to make the paint stick, then used methelated spirits to clean it down then used a toothpick to apply the paint but the clearcoat wanted to go on in these huge blobs and it didnt want to even out either, humph, will try on some other chips tomorrow i guess.
    Actually, AFAIK best practice is to have some of it 'stick out' and then correct with compound.
    2008 audi A3 1.9tdi
    (former 1991 520i LPG)

Edit: double post
    2008 audi A3 1.9tdi
    (former 1991 520i LPG)

This will make your chip repairs look like a pro with nearly zero effort. Yes, the blob and sand method is the best way to do it, but really the difference is insignificant.

http://www.langka.com/

Try mixing some colour with the clear coat; thin it out with acrylic thinners to aid flow; use a #0 or #1 fine point artists brush; fill the scratch or chip with paint using several applications, allowing the paint to dry between applications; mix 50% acrylic thinners with 50% Prepsol (wax & grease remover), and using a small flat-faced hard rubber or plastic block wrapped in T-shirt material or similar, wet with the thinners/Prepsol mix and rub over the repair to remove excess paint; buff off residue with a soft cloth and allow to dry; polish with a fine cutting compound. With metallic paints you may never get a perfect match but it should be pretty good.
    June 88 535iA, 173,000 km; Sep 00 735i 170,000 km