GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: type of clear coat finishes? (spray can)

Default type of clear coat finishes? (spray can)

What brand & type of clear coat finish (spray can) should I use on small parts? Lacquer, enamel or what? Not even sure if there are real choices in spray can finishes.

I need to match the appearance of factory BMW oxford green paint which is two step. I already have the base coat. TIA
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

You will only be able to get acrylic lacquer (solvent based) paint in an off-the-shelf spray can. The best and most durable finish is 2-pak but as the isocyanate hardeners used are highly toxic it should only be used by a professional (or a competent amateur with the right equipment). If you have access to a small compressor I recommend you spend the money to buy an HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure) spray gun do do this sort of work. You just don't get enough control with a pressure pack with a fixed aperture spray nozzle to get an even flow, and unless you're painting edge-to-edge you will have trouble losing the edge of the blend zone.
    June 88 535iA, 173,000 km; Sep 00 735i 170,000 km

Quote Originally Posted by Russell
    What brand & type of clear coat finish (spray can) should I use on small parts? Lacquer, enamel or what? Not even sure if there are real choices in spray can finishes.

I need to match the appearance of factory BMW oxford green paint which is two step. I already have the base coat. TIA
    There are LVLP guns (really don't need more than a 3 hp compressor for this) which will work fine - but as noted, the poly clear coat can seriously impact your health (and others around you), it lingers in vapor quite some time.
    1995 BMW 525i w/139K miles, EAT Chip - (Gone)
    07 525i 22K, 07 328xi (41K)
    1982 Mazda RX-7 w/147K miles (Back again!)

As far as clear coats available in a spray can, I went with Wurth. It's not cheap, but covers well and they use a different type of spray nozzle. Caveats are that you need to be careful of temperature and humidity, and give it something like a week to properly cure. Perhaps that's true with the pro stuff as well, I don't know.
    '95 540iA ~212k