GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rear Wheel / tyre rubbing on something, no sure what, any ideas?

Default Rear Wheel / tyre rubbing on something, no sure what, any ideas?

I fitted some new wheels to my car yesterday (540iT) and heard something rubbing from the left rear, I have visually inspected it but can't see anything, it doesn't seem to change tempo when I press the brakes or go over bumps. I thought it might be the exhaust because its a custom stainless one but theres at least a 1cm gap, could it move about that much when driving? The only other thing I can think of is possibly a suspension component ( I can't quite see the clearance at the top of the strut but when I feel it, it seems ok) or something to do with the brakes. The rub is constant, never goes away, never gets worse and relative to speed.

I had a set of wheels where the left rear was ripped to shreds on the inside of the tyre, I thought it was a bad tyre. So I replaced all the wheels with a new set (Style 5s), yesterday I bought a set of MPars and fitted those (Same size all round) and can hear them rubbing. When I thought about I realised that the original tyre must have had the same problem and failed because of this, it may just have been quieter. I checked the tyre on the Style 5 wheel and this is also showing signs of rubbing so I am thinking that they all rubbed but these wheels rub louder so it doesn't seem wheel specific.

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be or what to check because I am really stumped
    UK 1997 e34 540iA Touring, 1989 535i Sport - now sold, 1998 Mercedes CLK 200 Coupe

Whereabouts is it rubbing on the old tyre? Side wall/edge/tread? Photo would be nice here?

Its rubbing on the inside side wall towards the edge with the tread (opposite edge to where it meets the wheel.) by the looks of it, I will try and get a pic of the tyre tonight
    UK 1997 e34 540iA Touring, 1989 535i Sport - now sold, 1998 Mercedes CLK 200 Coupe

what tire size? I'm running 245/40/18 as low or lower than you and no rubbing

I would check the strut to see if there is some paint rubbing... Maybe it is your wheel bearing shot.. try to rock it while in the air to see if you have any play... should be zero.

thats a damn good idea.

jack it up and take the wheel off. it is rubbing bad enough to damage the tire there is going to be ONE very clean spot under there somewhere with no roadgrime and possibly no paint.

Will check the tyre size tonight, thanks for the info, by the way is a 2 tonne trolley jack enough for a 540? I am guessing an e34 touring is between 1600 - 1800 kgs? Its within the limit but just didn't seem as solid as I would have liked or am I just being over-cautious (I get very nervous jacking up cars - I'd rather work on the engine).

You are not lifting up the entire car so it is enough. However, the trolley jack is NOT the safest jack... Use jack stand along with it. Set parking brake on before jacking up the car and only jack up on level paved ground.

Quote Originally Posted by leicesterboy15
    Will check the tyre size tonight, thanks for the info, by the way is a 2 tonne trolley jack enough for a 540? I am guessing an e34 touring is between 1600 - 1800 kgs? Its within the limit but just didn't seem as solid as I would have liked or am I just being over-cautious (I get very nervous jacking up cars - I'd rather work on the engine).
    2t jack is barely adequate, I'd use a 3 tonne, reasonably priced from screwfix..

I've lifted my touring (4000lbs) by the diff with a 2 ton. Anything is safer than the widowmaker jack bmw supplied.

encourage you to use jackstands though I really do.

Hell for what you have to do the oem jack will work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast