GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Don't you hate it when...

Default Don't you hate it when...

you get half way through a project, and find out you have the wrong parts???

Did the rear suspension finally on my 93, went super smooth. Shocks and springs, nothing complicated. Pulled the front apart, got the strut cartridge removed, put the new one in, crap it's the wrong one. The threaded portion is too short and the necked down area too long compared to the old one.

I got the parts from BMA, I'm hoping they'll be cool and exchange them. They've been sitting in the garage for close to 3 months now. I finally got a weekend free, pretty hard to get this kind of thing done with a 2 year old and a 3 month old.

I've got both sides torn down, and installed the new upper and lower arms (whatever they're called) new tie rods, new idler, new center link. Just need struts to finish it off. Honey, you don't need your car this week do you???
    Last edited by etcetera; 07-07-2007 at 06:05 PM.
    Eric Claussen
    La Habra, CA
    1993 525i 5 speed

Also should mention, the front strut inserts were totally blown. There is almost no resistance when compressing or expanding it.
    Eric Claussen
    La Habra, CA
    1993 525i 5 speed

The part number I got was 115-066 which is listed as an e34 strut. My car is 7/93.

Looking at some pics, it looks like I should have 115-067. I hope I can just change upper bearings. I didn't buy them new, and mine are fine, but it would save the hassle of sending the wrong ones back.

For the 115-067 part number it says something about a 22mm nut on upper bearing. My originals and the new ones have the same nut, and it isn't 22mm.

As far as I can tell 115-067 is for the sport suspension???

The top one in this link looks like it's right, and it's 067. The bottom is 066 and doesn't fit.
    http://catalog.worldpac.com/tayco/wi...t=Strut+Insert
    Eric Claussen
    La Habra, CA
    1993 525i 5 speed

BMA took care of me with zero hassle. Great company to deal with.

Eric
    Eric Claussen
    La Habra, CA
    1993 525i 5 speed

Congratz, another wonderful ending!
    InDEuroz | e34 540i/6 '94 w/ bore/stroked m62 | e30 325iS '87 | Ducati 748R '00

BMA has always been very good with me about part returns. Enjoyable to do business with them, they will go out of their way for you.