GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: visor LCD's

Default visor LCD's

anyone have INSTALLED lcd monitors in their visors?

im looking for some way to install lcd's into my car and headrests and visors seem to be the easiest way. ebay has some cheap plasticky visor LCD's which would look very strange i reckon

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Sun-Visor-DVD...QQcmdZViewItem

whats the easiest best looking way to install LCD's in these cars! any site people could recommend. prices....photos of your installed lcd's would be excellent
    1995 m50 520i executive

not something done on this forum. maybe you'll have better luck on one of the holden or ford forums

I've got a flip out Alpine screen with cd changer, satnav and Ipod connection in the boot and dvd player under the passenger seat. You can't have a double din as far as i know because of the heater controls without major customisation of the dash although it would look superb.

For the back I adapted a portable CD player stand and fitted a screen to it and attached the other end to the side of the centre console towards the back (you can just see it in the photo). I thought about head rest screens which look the nuts but there isn't much space in the back of an e34 even in my touring and when I test fitted a screen to the headrest it was too close to the baby seat and would have been kicked to death or sent my daughter blind!!

UK 1997 e34 540iA Touring, 1989 535i Sport - now sold, 1998 Mercedes CLK 200 Coupe

wow that looks great up the front, would of cost you a bundle. i think the single din will be the only option, a double din would be ALOT cheaper but major mods needed. the visors look cheap and nasty, still...would love little 4 inch lcds to simply replace the visor mirrors, because then you even have a plastic screen to protect them but who knows....i need the correct depth and space for wiring. it could be very possible, switch needed for lights to prevent glare.... oh the possabilities.yeah you might get the feared square eyes if you sit that close to screens in the backseats. your setup looks pretty good. well done
    1995 m50 520i executive

The visors are to keep the sun from your eyes not for television.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

the visors are to keep the sun out of your eyes, not to do your makeup with (thats why the mirrors ARE their for) . there can be multifunctional....its the perfect spot for them, non intrusive (hopefully)

i never really understood why they put a mirror on the drivers side, women would be puttin their faces on and not watching the road!! but i suppose if it wasnt their theyd use the rearview mirror.....
    1995 m50 520i executive

Quote Originally Posted by leicesterboy15
    I spy a tescos clubcard!

Thanks! Was just a quick fix really. When I bought the car it had a lot of kit but was installed really badly and there was no display on the headunit, you had to open the screen to do anything. There were cables everywhere so I decided to rip it all out and start again. I thought I would do the whole lot cheaply to build the base and then upgrade each component individually.
    I upgraded the screen to this one which allows you to everything with the screen closed just like a normal stereo which is a lot less hassle and also has a removable panel which is a must!

The screen in the back and the dvd player were £60 but I'm well impressed with them. I need a more slimline way of mounting the monitor in the back, thought about a flip down roof mounted job but don't have a clue how to install it!

I built a box for the boot that allows easy access to the satnav cd changer and ipod but doesn't affect the boot space and I've added a tv tuner as well which is quite cool.

Next step is to upgrade all the speakers and get a better screen in the back.

Its not that much, I think the whole lot cost me about £450 which is not that bad when you consider how many bits there are. Was a lot of effort to install it though, you'd be surprised how little space there is behind the panels in the car for wires and the dash was a very tight fit!
    UK 1997 e34 540iA Touring, 1989 535i Sport - now sold, 1998 Mercedes CLK 200 Coupe

I spy a tescos clubcard!
    Well Spotted! Every Little Helps!

Just my opinion. There are already too many distracted drivers and I was trying to discourage you from being one of them.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast