GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: milled head + euro motor = thicker head gasket?

Default milled head + euro motor = thicker head gasket?

I FINALLY got the head to the machine shop. I am getting things done at a snail's pace.

The machine shop took .01" off the bottom of the head. This equates to .254mm. Given that the pistons are the 10 to 1 compression ratio euro-style; would anyone recommend that I install the .3mm thicker head gasket? Or is it safe (interference-wise and/or compression-wise) to run the stock-thickness gasket?

I ran various searches on mye28 and .info. I read that many folks went up to .03" or even .04" milled and still ran the stock thickness without issue, but none of the results were in reference to the 10 to 1 piano-domed piston. Aside from that fact, my ECU is an early fixed-mapping with added O2 sensor; so would I run the risk of pinging with a stock gasket?

I do not care to spend the extra cash for the thicker gasket. I just want to be informed and ecourage discussion.

1 thou is irrelevant,But you might want to remember that it shortens the Cam chain,or do you mean 1mm, whole different ball game.If you really want to keep CR the same then machine off the piston heads, get out a calculator to calculate the volume of metal required to take off.

definitely just .01 (one-hundredth) inches or .254 mm...

Stock gasket. No worry about chain, the tensioner can cope with .010
    EDIT Bently says .012 is the limit for machining and BM recommends.3mm over gasket, who am I to argue. I think the concern is detonation not piston to valve "interferrence.
    Last edited by Ross; 07-05-2007 at 05:57 PM.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Default Apples and oranges

Quote Originally Posted by 31Hertz
    definitely just .01 (one-hundredth) inches or .254 mm...
    I would like someone to say that if you take ten thou off the head and use the standard gasket, then the pistons definitely wont hit the valves. I wont
    Oct '00 E46 330i. Feb '92 525i (departed)

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser
    I would like someone to say that if you take ten thou off the head and use the standard gasket, then the pistons definitely wont hit the valves. I wont
    1/4 of 1mm doesn't seem like much, but yeah; I am hoping to hear something like that as well. My gut tells me it won't, but my gut is also the place that makes poop...

It will shorten the chain which means slightly retarded cam timing. I am not so worried about that. Or will this actually work in my favor to avoid detonation?

The compression ratio will be around 10.25 to 1 according to reliable sources.

Apocalypse or Sunshine?
    Last edited by 31Hertz; 07-06-2007 at 06:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 31Hertz
    It will shorten the chain which means slightly retarded cam timing. I am not so worried about that. Or will this actually work in my favor to avoid detonation?
    Not familiar with your motor but if you shorten the distance between the top and bottom sprockets, surely the chain is longer? Mine has got little smilie faces on the tops of the pistons. I guess thats cos there isnt much clearance between the piston head and valves. So are you going to put in the 'thin' gasket and live dangerously?
    Oct '00 E46 330i. Feb '92 525i (departed)

Not familiar with your motor but if you shorten the distance between the top and bottom sprockets, surely the chain is longer? Mine has got little smilie faces on the tops of the pistons. I guess thats cos there isnt much clearance between the piston head and valves. So are you going to put in the 'thin' gasket and live dangerously?

Was wondering the same thing, you beat me to it
    BMW, THE ULTIMATE FLYING MACHINE

SPEED AND POWER IS NOTHING WITHOUT CONTROL,
    THANK THE GERMANS, BMW HAS ALL 3

The stock HG thickness is 0.070" and you took off 0.010"... You should run a 0.080 gasket and yes, 0.010" does make a difference! That would probably raise compression from 9.0 to 9.5

The chain will slacken more, but the tensioner will take care of that. HOWEVER when the cam sprocket and crankshaft are lined up to TDC there will be ever-so-slightly more slack on the guide rail side of the chain. Of course when the motor starts this slack will go to the tensioner side; which means the cam will be slightly behind where it would normally be in the stock setup.

I am still riding the fence on this one...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast