GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello from Sydney

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    Cephas, you wheels look big, are they 18"s?
    yeah, 225/40/r18

I'm looking to get rid of them for some 17" or 16" rims. the ride is too harsh, and good 18" tires are too expensive
    1992 520i Auto
    Sydney, Australia

Welcome Cephas......
    Your car will be your friend for ever provided you do not neglect it. You are in the right place for all the help you could ever want. Do use the search, most all of the questions you might have, I'm sure they have been answered numerous times. Have fun and good luck.........
    M20 525/7 Bore: 84.50mm Stroke 81mm CR 8.5:1, blue printed/dyno & custom chip. Boost @ 6.5psi ~246hp @ 5300rpm / torque @ 269ftlbs. @ 4250rpm

Quote Originally Posted by Cephas
    I'm weighing up how much I want to do myself on it.
    I've not done much mechanical stuff before, but I'm not too bad at most DIY stuff.

I guess it comes down to tools and time for me. In that I don't have any proper mechanics tools / equipment and my time is limited. Anyone have an opinion of those cheap tool sets from places like SuperCheap auto? I know they will be pretty poor quality, but are they good enough for small jobs?

That said the prices from the US sites do seem a bit cheaper than what I've been quoted for stuff here. Not staggeringly cheaper, but enough that I'll probably be ordering some of the more cosmetic things from overseas.
    I think you will find even simple stuff like bonnet & boot struts, brake discs, pads and sensors etc are much cheaper bought from the US.

I recently had to purchase a front brake pad sensor from the dealer as it was not available from the States for my 525ix. It cost me AUD $ 39.25. The longer rear sensor I purchased from BMA for AUD $ 6.50.

This sort of saving is typical.

Thrust arms (upper control arms) cost approx $500 from the dealer and arrive here from the States for less than $200 including freight.

Go to www.realoem.com , enter your Vin number's last 7 digits, and you can then look up any part numbers to assist when you order.

Just make sure you keep any order to below AUD $1,000 to avoid duty and GST.

Bo

"I'm not the village idiot.
    But when he retires I'm next on the list."

Yeah mate do a search first before asking or youll get your head bitten off!!! lol!! And Welcome!!

I like the colour of the car and it looks in good condition too.Not all of us bite so ask away!
    Gone but not forgotten

Not worried about the bite. BMW newbie I may be, internet newbie I'm not Goes with the territory.

It is a nice colour, one look and I was hooked. Trying to explain to the wife why I'd spent more money then planned, and then explain why it needed a few trips to the mechanic wasn't fun, but every time I get in it to drive to work it seems worth the hassel.
    1992 520i Auto
    Sydney, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Cephas
    but every time I get in it to drive to work it seems worth the hassel.
    That's the BMW bug, alright. First time I drove a BMW, its rear suspension sold me.

Some of us have the bug even worse than you do.

"I'm not the village idiot.
    But when he retires I'm next on the list."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12