GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: To anyone considering changing the gear linkage: DO IT!

Default To anyone considering changing the gear linkage: DO IT!

Hi everybody.

Just thought I'd share my experience with the gear linkage replacement. I decided to do it mainly for fun. There was no real problem with it, except for the feel of the shifter. At all times, I was able to wiggle the shifter a full 2 inches sideways. Needless to say, it just felt worn and old. Time to tighten things up.

I found this writeup in the archives, and decided to go for it: http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=1169

Basically all you need to know is in there. But, lazy me, I was wondering wether it was necessary to remove the exhaust and driveshaft to get in there, so I started this thread: http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=32460

Here I got some invaluable advice from Jeff N (thanks Jeff), who supplied me with more photos and more details. Especially the details and pics on that M***** F***ing Bitch Clip was priceless.

As someone pointed out, this was a good time to change the transmission mounts. This cured a whole different problem, namely the "vibration-when-accelerating-from-a-dead-stop issue". More on this later.

This fix is relatively easy, as long as you know what you're doing. And with the supplied links, now you do.

The result? A whole different feel of the car. Shifting now feels radically better, and shaved 16 years off the driving experience. So, if you've been considering this fix: DO IT!

Ps. When changing the transmission mounts, use the right tools to lift the transmission, and don't to it alone. I nearly lost an eye to a crowbar trying to lift the transmission with it with one hand and placing the mounts with the other hand. Stupid stupid stupid.

why didnt u just use the jack to lift the tranny up?
    Mark

1999 M3 Cosmos Black/ Black 78k
    1994 540i Oxford Green/ Silver Grey Sold @ 133k
    1995 M3 Arctic Silver/Black Sold @ 117k
    1990 325i Zinnobar Red/Black Sold @ 115k

Quote Originally Posted by markus
    why didnt u just use the jack to lift the tranny up?
    I was in a pit with no jack.