GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new battery new problem help!!!

Default new battery new problem help!!!

Just changed my battery last night and while at it changed my stalk with an remote for obc after that all is fine.this morning I used my car with no prob. around night time when I shut the engine off and took out the key I noticed the battery sign in the instrument cluster is still on and the oil and brake lights are dimly on...auxiliary E.Fan is still working and I could here the idle control valve still working also with the key out of the ignition WTF!!!...So what I did was checked the alternator,battery and checked the stalk also but all is fine...this is wierd...any ideas??please help...Now I just disconnected the battery cables so the batt.would not run down...

HID 5000k low 3000k fogs
    dynaudio seps. mc intosh amp
    ACS w/yokohama advan sport tires
    Race logic TractionControl

Sounds like a short somewhere... did it rain ? Did you drop your coffee ? Seriously though, it feels like a short, whereas the current is passing through, but with resistance such as a liquid may provoque, since the lights are dimly lit. I would look for a bare wire somewhere.

That would be a hell of an investigation given the inexperience I have. But that is what I would do: give a hard look at electrical wiring I can see. It could even be coming from within the steering column. Or could it be that water went in the ignition key hole, carried in by your key ? Now I think I'm stretching it.

Replug the bat, and if all is good, then the water is dry.
    Last edited by BMWDriver; 07-04-2007 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWDriver
    Sounds like a short somewhere... did it rain ? Did you drop your coffee ? Seriously though, it feels like a short, whereas the current is passing through, but with resistance such as a liquid may provoque, since the lights are dimly lit. I would look for a bare wire somewhere.

That would be a hell of an investigation given the inexperience I have.
    it didn't rain and didn't pour anything...just happened by itself...just looked again and when I took out the instrument cluster voila aux fan stop...and all return to normal.But when I put the instrument cluster back its the same problem...could the cluster have a short inside or something else outside the cluster???I dunno getting confused already!!!

HID 5000k low 3000k fogs

Ah, yes my friend, look for a bare wire ! There be metal things I should think, to hold it in place. Keep in mind this bare wire may even be barely bare... it won't take much. So, have a careful look at them, take all the time you need and you might find it. Anything that might be loose, uncovered wire ends, solderings that show...

EDIT:
    Oops... instrument cluster. It might be worthwhile to have a look inside it. I take it the fan goes on because of high temp under normal conditions. It sounds like there is a part inside (like a condensator or resistor, or other) that has leaked seriously, and so triggers the aux. fan to turn on as if the cluster is giving the signal to lower the engine's temperature. And it must be a mess then.
    Last edited by BMWDriver; 07-04-2007 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwrp8
    Just changed my battery last night and while at it changed my stalk .
    Not even sure what stalk you mean but I'm thinking bad solenoid connections or duff regulator. Charging OK?
    Oct '00 E46 330i. Feb '92 525i (departed)

Capacitors are known to fail. I'm starting to have trouble with my own cluster (shows empty fuel at more than half full, erroneous "add oil" message, erroneous "coolant low" message; only those so far).

http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Mainte...capacitors.htm
    Last edited by BMWDriver; 07-04-2007 at 01:00 PM.

[QUOTE=whiskychaser]Not even sure what stalk you mean but I'm thinking bad solenoid connections or duff regulator. Charging OK?[/QUOT

OBC stalk

HID 5000k low 3000k fogs

Quote Originally Posted by BMWDriver
    Capacitors are known to fail. I'm starting to have trouble with my own cluster (shows empty fuel at more than half full, erroneous "add oil" message, erroneous "coolant low" message; only those so far).

http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Mainte...capacitors.htm
    ill try to borrow a cluster from the local yard if its still the same then i guess ill have to look for the short someplace else...

HID 5000k low 3000k fogs

Quote Originally Posted by bmwrp8
    ill try to borrow a cluster from the local yard if its still the same then i guess ill have to look for the short someplace else...
    Hey ! I might buy either one off of you ! That would be great ! - Then again, the 89 cluster model is different... shoot ! It might not fit, I remember a post about that...

a relay might be stuck or fried. Did you try installing the original stalk? If you installed the stalk with the battery connected you might have shorted something.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast