GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your experience from 15" to 17-18" wheels

Default Your experience from 15" to 17-18" wheels

Dear Fellow E34 Enthusiasts,

I'm considering going from 15" to 16" or 17" wheels, not more. I'm worried about the effects of the road conditions here in Montreal - y' almost need a 4x4, the roads are so frikkin' ugly... It's a bumpy ride every goddamn time I go anywhere ! But I'm used to it now anyway.

Also, perhaps comfort too. And my mechanic suggests the suspension pays the price.

I read the e34 info site regarding sizes and everything (speedometer effect & mileage ratio...), so I think I'm good with that.

So, what did you notice when you upgraded?

with our roads in montreal, you will have to pay attention or you will indeed bend 18 inch rims.

Upgrading to 17" I definitely felt more attached to the road. If the ride is suffering, I don't notice it. It's still a great drive.

Just get a good set of wheels and watch the holes. Don't go with cheap "bend easy" wheels.
    InDEuroz | e34 540i/6 '94 w/ bore/stroked m62 | e30 325iS '87 | Ducati 748R '00

ill have an update for you in about 2 days. Im getting style 19s on with some general exclaim UHP rubber. I think good tires play a crucial role also. No cheap ass linglong or nankang tires.
    Mark

1999 M3 Cosmos Black/ Black 78k
    1994 540i Oxford Green/ Silver Grey Sold @ 133k
    1995 M3 Arctic Silver/Black Sold @ 117k
    1990 325i Zinnobar Red/Black Sold @ 115k

Quote Originally Posted by markus
    ill have an update for you in about 2 days. Im getting style 19s on with some general exclaim UHP rubber. I think good tires play a crucial role also. No cheap ass linglong or nankang tires.
    Give us a pic to make us drool !

I'll post back with a couple of brands I might consider. Keep it comin' guys ! This is good stuff !

From Total BMW magazine, March issue:

“the classic mistake with the E34 is to fit big aftermarket wheels. The E34 doesn’t like anything bigger than 16 inch with 225 or 235 tyres and too many cheap wheels aren’t particularly well balanced. This is why E34s with cheap big wheels drive like a double bed and wander all over the road.”

...and I couldn't agree more. The ride/handling compromise with stock wheels is unbeatable. Lighter steering, sharper steering response and better acceleration. With bigger wheels it feels more like a truck. You'll be giving up some "BMWness" if you fit big wheels on the car. - and I expect you'll go through suspension compontents faster like your mechanic said.

Quote Originally Posted by kick7ca
    From Total BMW magazine, March issue:

“the classic mistake with the E34 is to fit big aftermarket wheels. The E34 doesn’t like anything bigger than 16 inch with 225 or 235 tyres and too many cheap wheels aren’t particularly well balanced. This is why E34s with cheap big wheels drive like a double bed and wander all over the road.”

...and I couldn't agree more. The ride/handling compromise with stock wheels is unbeatable. Lighter steering, sharper steering response and better acceleration. With bigger wheels it feels more like a truck. You'll be giving up some "BMWness" if you fit big wheels on the car. - and I expect you'll go through suspension compontents faster like your mechanic said.
    Yes, I'm seriously considering that too. However, wheels are difficult to find in a 16 inch size for our beloved E34. I'm not keen on anything outside of 20 offset. So far, I had found only one out of what is available North of USA, that appeals to my tastes in the 16 inch size.

RTX Wheels Roundel model in 16 inches:

However, since I don't drive every day, taking public transit to work, 17 inch is possibly a good fit.

TSW Sakata 5 in 17 inches:

BBS also has a style I really like.
    BBS RX203 15 (only chrome) or 17 inches (silver/chrome):

Not sure I like the chrome.

I'm not done shopping.
    Last edited by BMWDriver; 07-04-2007 at 06:53 PM.

If you like the first style... you might as well get them off the current BMW 5 series... People sells them cheap too.

I have experience in all sizes... 15, 16 and 17". 15 is definitely soft because I use it for snow tires... 16 and 17" depends on what brand of tires you buy. Every manufacturer is different. Michelin is rock hard rides... Bridgestone is medium stiffness... Nitto NT555 is rock hard also but way cheaper than Michelin.

The latest one I like is General Exclaim UHP (no other General tires are recommended)... very nice ride... soft ride... and outstanding sport performance.

To make the ride comfortable, you have to make sure everything on your suspension is good... especially the sway bar links... shocks and springs (stock will give you comfortable rides). Everything is subjective.

i really don't think there will be noticeable ride harshness below 18 inches.

Default I think 16" is a good compromise

I have 17" style 5 wheels with Bridgestone Turanza LSZ's on my 1991 535i. I also have the M-Technik springs with Boge gas struts and Racing Dynamics sway bars. My ride is firm, but not terrible. The ride is probably the worst in town on uneven pavement and potholes. Luckily, my car still has a very solid chassis and most of the suspension parts are in great shape. But if I could find a set of 16" Mille Miglia MM11 wheels, I'd think hard about swapping them for the 17" style 5's just to soften the ride up a bit.

If you're running the stock springs/struts, 17" wheels/tires probably won't be too bad for you. But I tend to agree that they're probably rougher on your suspension. And the brand/model of tire you choose will also greatly impact the ride. Lots of variables to play with.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
    1991 535i

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast