GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reading Engine Codes?

Default Reading Engine Codes?

Is that what the stomp test is? Depressing the accelerator 5 times in 5 seconds?

I followed the directions found here:
    http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/engine_codes.htm

I couldn't get anything to happen.

I have a 02/89 535i, and i always had a check engine light. Contradicting what is said on that page about '88 and '89 E34s. Anywho, is there better directions how to do that test?

I was able to do the car code display test, that was interesting.

Not depressing. Stomp test means just that. Hard and fast like a teenager. And similarly, you need to be finished in 5 seconds. Re-read the 'Older E34 bulb wiring' paragraph at the bottom. It sounds like you do not have a check engine bulb installed. The cutout on the panel will be there but has it ever lit? You may need to do a little more wiring to get results.
    The stone age didn't end for a lack of stones. Neither will the hydrocarbon age......

I do have a bulb in that slot. My check engine light comes on when the key is in position 2, then goes away when engine is turned on.

i never got this thing to work. im thinking about buying a peake tool for $150.
    Mark

1999 M3 Cosmos Black/ Black 78k
    1994 540i Oxford Green/ Silver Grey Sold @ 133k
    1995 M3 Arctic Silver/Black Sold @ 117k
    1990 325i Zinnobar Red/Black Sold @ 115k

Ok, so i got the stomp sequence down and got the light to do it's flashy thing, but i get no codes on the display? wtf

Quote Originally Posted by ///Sniper535
    Ok, so i got the stomp sequence down and got the light to do it's flashy thing, but i get no codes on the display? wtf
    no, you get no codes from the display..that flashy thing IS the code...you count how many flash then pause and that is the code...ex.flash pause flash,flash,pause flash ,flash pause flash,flash. thats code 1222

HID 5000k low 3000k fogs
    dynaudio seps. mc intosh amp
    ACS w/yokohama advan sport tires
    Race logic TractionControl

You count the flashes. Those are the codes. You want a display, get a Peake or CarSoft. I am not sure it would be worth the expense on an 89; I think there were fewer than 20 codes total on the early models. BMW added more over the years.
    The stone age didn't end for a lack of stones. Neither will the hydrocarbon age......

Quote Originally Posted by zhandax
    You count the flashes. Those are the codes. You want a display, get a Peake or CarSoft. I am not sure it would be worth the expense on an 89; I think there were fewer than 20 codes total on the early models. BMW added more over the years.
    I have carsoft and mine's an 89..its well worth the expense especially if somebody comes to you and ask you to read their bimmer hehehe with charge of course not to mention the guys in the club hehehe WELL WORTH IT

HID 5000k low 3000k fogs
    dynaudio seps. mc intosh amp
    ACS w/yokohama advan sport tires
    Race logic TractionControl

Good point. My manager has a 740, and it couldn't hurt to help out the guy who writes the reviews. I have been lowballing auctions by tachopartner on ebay.de but keep missing. Maybe I will just suck it up and hit the buy-it-now. There is a new model that just came out from another seller but I think I will get the one from tachopartner. The new model features "SMD design" and I have enough broken crap with that technology already.

boys, you really need to read up on what tool works and what dont then make a purchase.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast