GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: LED Tail lights - Help!

Default LED Tail lights - Help!

My son, Sean, just received his new LED tailights for the 1992 525i. He had cracked one of the lenses and decided to upgrade with these special lights. He ordered them through Bavarian Autosport for $269.95. We installed them this evening and they look great. The turn signal lenses are clear instead of amber. When we turned the lights on the two center lenses have LED bulbs mounted below the backup lights but they were not illuminated. I noticed on the stock lenses that we removed there is no light located just below the backup lights. Did we do something wrong? All of the other lights work fine but the LED bulbs located below the backup lights don't work.

If you have installed these LED tail lights and are familiar with this problem give me some ideas as to how to remedy this situation.

Al Gray

The light section under the reverse light is for rear fog lights.

Not sure how they'd work for a non-rear fog light car. I'm sure you could do some splicing to get them to act as brake lights maybe? Other than that, they're probably useless.

Lets see pics anyhow.
    InDEuroz | e34 540i/6 '94 w/ bore/stroked m62 | e30 325iS '87 | Ducati 748R '00

Agreed, these are for rear fog lights, and they will only light up if the headlight switch at the driver's seat is set to anything but 0, and that the fog light switch is set to Front and Rear.

Pics would be nice to see anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Macv
    The light section under the reverse light is for rear fog lights.

Not sure how they'd work for a non-rear fog light car. I'm sure you could do some splicing to get them to act as brake lights maybe? Other than that, they're probably useless.

Lets see pics anyhow.
    Agreed, I have to see these on a car.
    Take a pic of them when...
    they are off
    they are on
    while applying brake
    and at night
    please!
    EuroLux:. Private Detail
    E34 1/'89 ///M20 2.5i: Lachsilber

I only put LED tower bulbs in. It would be nice to see how these look!

Oh and yes, those are the rear fogs. If you like, you can wire them up with your brake lights.
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

Quote Originally Posted by Qube
    I only put LED tower bulbs in. It would be nice to see how these look!

Oh and yes, those are the rear fogs. If you like, you can wire them up with your brake lights.

Do you have any suggestions on how to wire them up with the brake lights without butchering the wiring? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Al Gray

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gray
    Do you have any suggestions on how to wire them up with the brake lights without butchering the wiring? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Al Gray
    Shouldn't be too hard. Snap a pic and let's see!
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

Butchering the wires wouldn't be my worry, it can all be done nice and clean. Running a whole new set of wires from the outside taillights back into the car, up the trunk hatch support, to the new inside taillights is where I'd get angry. But this is only because it would be messy looking after I was done, as I'm kinda lazy at wiring stuff.

Sounds like you'll have a unique setup going.

Quote Originally Posted by Macv
    Butchering the wires wouldn't be my worry, it can all be done nice and clean. Running a whole new set of wires from the outside taillights back into the car, up the trunk hatch support, to the new inside taillights is where I'd get angry. But this is only because it would be messy looking after I was done, as I'm kinda lazy at wiring stuff.

Sounds like you'll have a unique setup going.
    Macy,

I just looked at the trunk and the trunk hatch support and their is a way to conceal the wiring to run it to the inside lights in the trunk lid. I will have to take some pictures of this and get some ideas on how to do the wiring. Thanks for your insights on this matter. If this works out maybe it would be a neat procedure for upgrades on custom tail lights.

Al Gray

I just looked at the trunk and the trunk hatch support and their is a way to conceal the wiring to run it to the inside lights in the trunk lid.
    I'm aware of that, and have faith it'll be a clean job if you complete it.