GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: What shocks do I order?

Default What shocks do I order?

I'm probably going to go with Bistein touring or KYB's. So here's my dilemma, i'm using M5 front springs and the stock wagon rear springs. For shocks and struts, should I still just get front struts meant for a 525i, or should I use front struts meant for an M5? are the diameters and all the same?

thanks,

Jeff

don't know much about m5's but i would figure that they have a larger engine than your M50. not to say that the M-tect springs are wrong, but i would use the struts that are for your car

bilstin HDs, eiback prokit, K&N instert, DEPO fogs, sound system, zimmerman rotors, metal master

I would use the same spring set all around too. OE springs with M5 sport springs would kind screw you up if you were to corner at speed, or hit a bump for that matter. Match the spring set, either with OE or M5 or get a new eibach set for $250. Match the shocks if you are doing Koni/Bilstein with anything else. Sachs/Boge/KYB mix OK, but koni and bilstein don't ride like them. First step would be to pick a spring set, and pick a shock set. You are mixing and matching sport and leisure driving that will yield you little and your car will be off balance. I don't know your financial situation so I don't know what to recommend besides consistency in your selection.

I like the sachs/boge turbo deals, billies I blew 3 front shox in a couple months, the most problamatic shox I ever experiences. the sachs are moderate ride with better control in my oppinion (IMO)
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

billies I blew 3 front shox in a couple months, the most problamatic shox I ever experiences(sic) (IMO)
    What in the world do you have to do to blow three shocks in two calendar months? Are you letting people my size sit on your hood? Good Golly!

I live 1 mile down on a dirt road, sometimes you cant dodge all the craters. So far over a year and no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty
    What in the world do you have to do to blow three shocks in two calendar months? Are you letting people my size sit on your hood? Good Golly!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I highly recommends the Bilstein Monotube instead of the touring (twintube) or Boge (twintube, also)... I would get the HD in your case. At the same time, I highly recommends you change all your sway bar links at the same time.

I don't know if you got self leveling system or not... I can see the problem where your inserts and shocks are very expensive... Bimmerparts.com has the Bilsteins HD you need but then again, I bet if you shop hard, you can get them much cheaper... maybe shox.com?

As for original Boge, Autohausaz.com got the cheapest price there.

I would NEVER buy KYB.

Cool guys, thanks for the answers. my touring has no self leveling in the rear and sits abit lower than the front. M5 front springs should bring the front down and level the car out. As for the shocks, i guess my question is does a shock from an M5 fit in the housing for my 525i? And since I am using M5 springs, should i order front shocks specified for an M5, instead of ones for a 525i?

I did the exact same thing you are doing on my Touring. I used Boge/Sachs OEM shocks. This was recommended by one of the guys @ BMA. I suggest you shoot them a call and talk to them.