GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Project dash restoration!

Default Project dash restoration!

So this morning I woke up - I had purchased VHT vinyl dye about 3 months ago. I told myself that while I am looking for a job I will take my dashboard out and dye it black because the tan one was (ugly) sunburned around the gauge cluster which was detracting from my cars overall appearance. I want to do the whole car black with tan door inserts, but let's take baby steps.

Originally, for whatever reason, and I might be yet to find out, BMW tucked all the wiring harness that goes from the left side to the right side of the car up inside the dashboard, wrapping around all the air ducts and wire tied between 10 - 20 times throughout. I relocated all the wiring so that it now sits UNDER the air ducts - I figure if the air ducts fit over the wiring comfortably, and the dash fits over the air ducts, there's no reason the wiring cannot be down there. I guess during assembly BMW does things in another order that makes their method better, but if I tried to put it back together the way it came out, I'd have to first tie all the wiring to the dashboard about 10" of length, then try and keep the wiring up as I insert the dash. NOT FUN.

So now that I have it out, I cleaned it with simple green and a rag, let it air dry a couple mins, and had at it with the VHT dye. The one thing I will say - I wish VHT used those spray cans that have that feathering/fan spray pattern because I have used those to spray primer on wheels before and they are SO smooth. I did not have any issue with the cans/nozzles VHT uses, but I just hate the typical spray paint tip because if you let the can go too low, you start to get some aerosol bursts with the medium. Anyway, I didn't let the cans run too low while doing this because of that experience, so I prob about about 1/10th left in each can. I will use it on parts that aren't in plain sight - unlike a dashboard!

So here it is, after 2 coats of spray.

I am letting it try for probably about 6 hrs before putting it back in. I won't attempt to clean it or anything until a couple days from now.

I'll have to see if I have any other pics, but if you look in this pic you can see discoloration on the dash in front of the gauge cluster:

Hard to see, but the flat portion of the dash at the windshield and such had very prevalent sun burn. Big maybe 2.5 - 3" splotches of black. Thought it was mold at first and was like "WTF!" then realized its burns probably due to the convex of the windshield perhaps it rectifies the sun, dunno.
    Last edited by Jon K; 07-03-2007 at 11:35 AM.

Why not pop the vin tag off? There are 2 metal retainers underneath.
    erased due to slander

Looking good.

How long did it take you to take the dash out initially? Took me forever.
    InDEuroz | e34 540i/6 '94 w/ bore/stroked m62 | e30 325iS '87 | Ducati 748R '00

Quote Originally Posted by Macv
    Looking good.

How long did it take you to take the dash out initially? Took me forever.
    Only about an hour. I've got a lot of experience taking out the center fash (which I semi-sorta left in) so I kind of knew where stuff was. I didn't realize how much wiring was actually inside the dash, but as you can see in the pics above, I tucked it all cleanly.

Ok guys its done. My wire tuck behind the dash made installation WAY easier than removal. Its a very clean wiring job behind the dash which leaves more room and space if I have to run more switches for anything at a later date, etc. All I have left to do is install the gauge cluster again but I am waiting til tomorrow night because the dye has to cure. I know for sure if I tried to squeeze the gauges in there, since its a tight fit, it will mess up the finish on the dash right now. Other than a spot on the passenger end (can't see it with the door closed, its literally on the side of the dash) the size of a BB that I need to touch up, I would call this job perfect. I hope it lasts, as it's not very fun to do. I have heard people have good outcome with this stuff so let's find out.

Default Sweet

Great job! Looks really good. BTW tell me about the steering wheel. Do all the buttons work, what car did it come from...etc. Thanks
    Build: 10/89, 535im, Island Green, 189k

TC535i Guest

Why didn't you fix the $$#@^%)#@$^ center vent when you had everything apart???

Quote Originally Posted by TC535i
    Why didn't you fix the $$#@^%)#@$^ center vent when you had everything apart???

The dash is warped! It's not "broken" it just doesn't fit right. I have a heat gun. Tomorrow I am going to try and heat it and mold it to fit a little better.

Dr. Bimmer - no buttons don't work, its from a 330ci Sport.

I would some interesting clock spring center to get a safe means of passing wiring thru the steering column.

my dash is warped at the top left of the center vent too. let me know how the heat gun works.
    Build: 10/89, 535im, Island Green, 189k

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bimmer
    my dash is warped at the top left of the center vent too. let me know how the heat gun works.
    I'll do you one better, I will go try it now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast