GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: '95 525iT Check engine light and trans prog message

Default '95 525iT Check engine light and trans program message

Help!! As I was driving home from work on the highway, noticed that the check engine light began to flicker on then turn off a couple of times over the span of 5 minutes, then the dreaded "TRANS PROGRAM" message flashed up on the dash. The transmission locked into third gear and I limped it home. After a day or so, I started the car again and the check engine and TRANS PROGRAM lights come on almost immediately. Does anyone have any idea as to what may be causing this symptom and how I might fix it?

Lastly, does anyone know of any good repair shops in the Richmond, VA area for handling this sort of issue?
    Last edited by atomicDog; 07-02-2007 at 07:34 PM.

Do the stomp test to retrieve codes. Someone here may be able to point you in the right direction with the codes you have retrieved.

Quote Originally Posted by cobb535
    Do the stomp test to retrieve codes. Someone here may be able to point you in the right direction with the codes you have retrieved.
    Thanks for the advice, but can you please explain what the "stomp test" is and how I can retrieve the codes without a scanner?

Check your battery/charging sytem are OK, clean the selector and mode switches, read fault codes. There are loads of threads on here for trans prog
    fault.
    Oct '00 E46 330i. Feb '92 525i (departed)

Default Codes

Quote Originally Posted by atomicDog
    Thanks for the advice, but can you please explain what the "stomp test" is and how I can retrieve the codes without a scanner?
    Try this link

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/engine_codes.htm

Thanks for the info. I will check the codes this evening and report back. Charging system should be OK, as I have a new battery and alternator, but I will check the voltages, too. With the car running, what are the normally expected voltage ranges for this vehicle?

Default Charging info

Quote Originally Posted by atomicDog
    Thanks for the info. I will check the codes this evening and report back. Charging system should be OK, as I have a new battery and alternator, but I will check the voltages, too. With the car running, what are the normally expected voltage ranges for this vehicle?
    With a meter across the battery you should get about 12.6V if the battery is fully charged (key off). With the engine running this should go up to about 13.8V. Turning on the headlights/heated screen etc shouldnt affect it.

Thanks again. I'll check it tonight to understand what my voltage range is. I thought I saw a voltage of 17.3 volts with the car running the other day, but I need to verify that. I replaced the alternator with a new one less than 2 months ago. Am I correct to assume that the voltage regulator is internal to the alternator?

bilstin HDs, eiback prokit, K&N instert, DEPO fogs, sound system, zimmerman rotors, metal master

Thanks for the info, Dr. Looking forward to verifying my voltage range tonite.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast