GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 1994 325i Auto Transmission Problem...I think...

Default 1994 325i Auto Transmission Problem...I think...

I bought the car a few weeks ago and drove it home without a problem. But then something weird happened...The first gear works flawlessly, but when it goes into second, I get nothing! It just revs up like its in neutral. After a few seconds, it kicks into limp mode. I know limp mode usually selects 3rd gear to operate in, but it does the same thing as 2nd gear. It just revs up. I've done some research and cant seem to find any help. I took it to my mechanic and he put it on the lift to see underneath. He told me that the oil pan was clean and that it looked like someone had already been into the transmission. He said that I probably need a new one... I dont want to take his word for it since he only looked at the outside. Any help would be great!
    Last edited by dark_nismo; 07-01-2007 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dark_nismo
    I bought the car a few weeks ago and drove it home without a problem. But then something weird happened...The first gear works flawlessly, but when it goes into second, I get nothing! It just revs up like its in neutral. After a few seconds, it kicks into limp mode. I know limp mode usually selects 3rd gear to operate in, but it does the same thing as 2nd gear. It just revs up. I've done some research and cant seem to find any help. I took it to my mechanic and he put it on the lift to see underneath. He told me that the oil pan was clean and that it looked like someone had already been into the transmission. He said that I probably need a new one... I dont want to take his word for it since he only looked at the outside. Any help would be great!
    I had a '94 325i before and we had the same problem when I had it checked they said my valve body was shot plus I needed to replace my cluth pack...quoted me how much ill be spending and I just decided to buy a tranny from the yard which cost lesser than having the tranny rebuild...I got a 5speed manual tranny

HID 5000k low 3000k fogs
    dynaudio seps. mc intosh amp
    ACS w/yokohama advan sport tires
    Race logic TractionControl

Well, I was hoping there would be an easier fix for this. Maybe a sensor going out or something...

If it is the transmission though, I have a friend with a 95 Rodeo that I can get the transmission out of... Sounds ! I know... but the the transmission is a 4L30E and it is suppose to fit 3 series BMW's, Isuzu's and a Cadillac. Has anyone else heard of this?

Quote Originally Posted by dark_nismo
    Well, I was hoping there would be an easier fix for this. Maybe a sensor going out or something...

If it is the transmission though, I have a friend with a 95 Rodeo that I can get the transmission out of... Sounds ! I know... but the the transmission is a 4L30E and it is suppose to fit 3 series BMW's, Isuzu's and a Cadillac. Has anyone else heard of this?
    nope never heard...what about the transmission computer box?is it the same as the 325?

HID 5000k low 3000k fogs
    dynaudio seps. mc intosh amp
    ACS w/yokohama advan sport tires
    Race logic TractionControl

the transmission used in many 3 series BMW's through the 90's was actually a French made GM product. I imagine GM sold that transmission to many other companies besides BMW.

I've never heard that they are compatible, but I suppose they *might* be.

When the automatic failed in my '95 late last year, I went the same route as the previous poster. I converted my car to a 5spd manual with parts out of a '97 328is; easily the BEST thing I ever did to my car. It radically changed how that car drove - it's now a total blast to drive. It felt like I did major internal engine work - the car really woke up....

A conversion on a 90's 3 series is actually pretty simple - at least on models prior to '96. There's very little actual modification necessary as all install points, etc. are on the car since they rolled down the line prepped to be either auto or manual....

If you are interested in something like that, I have tons of research I can give you...With access to tools and all your parts ready to go, this is a weekend project...