GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: putting car in neutral at stop?

Default putting car in neutral at stop?

just curious. would it help my tranny if i put it in neutral at a stop light or no? im curious to see how many people do this also.
    Mark

1999 M3 Cosmos Black/ Black 78k
    1994 540i Oxford Green/ Silver Grey Sold @ 133k
    1995 M3 Arctic Silver/Black Sold @ 117k
    1990 325i Zinnobar Red/Black Sold @ 115k

I've read that if you are at a long light you could do that. I've done it a few times in the Nissan, the Atlanta area has a few long lights.

95 E34 540i6 M Sport - 94 E34 530iT B40/6 - 92 E34 525i5 M52/OBD2 rip

It's become a bit of a habit for me to pop the car into neutral when stopped... Don't know why, but hopefully it's a good thing.

Old car: 95 525i, OB/Silver, Eibachs, Style 66, Missed dearly!!
    VIN Decoder | Online ETK
    | E34 Bible

may or may not do anything useful, could add a little life and probably wouldn't hurt as you are uncoupling the converter from the forward drum taking the drag off the clutches, i think it would do more for some trannys than others where as some will idle and not really pull and other drop the assend of the car as it rides down on the suspension
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

I do sometimes. I was told it doesn't hurt.
    InDEuroz | e34 540i/6 '94 w/ bore/stroked m62 | e30 325iS '87 | Ducati 748R '00

What does hurt though is dropping the box into drive and immediately stomping on the gas... I've done this a few times accidentally while not paying attention to the lights and suddenly looking up to find they've been on green for a bit.

The boxes, especially if high mileage require a good 2-3 seconds to fully engage drive sometimes.

Popping the trans into neutral does 2 things - it takes the load off the engine which in theory should reduce idle emissions and fuels consumption by a poofteenth, and it also allows the torque converter to freewheel, thus reducing the heat load on the trans fluid. In Drive with the car stopped, the output shaft is stopped while the rest of the gubbins is spinning around merrily; the friction between the moving trans fluid and the unmoving converter parts heats up the fluid. So I would say on balance it's not a dumb thing to do ... I do it ... but take heed of Ferret's point if you have a trans that's slow to shift into D from neutral.
    June 88 535iA, 173,000 km; Sep 00 735i 170,000 km

my girlfriend drives an 04 holden (opel/vauxhall/gm) astra auto which does this by default... as you stop the car it pops it into N, and when you lift off the brake it puts it back into D.. the manual says it's for fuel economy, but i think it's probably because there's some fault with these transmissions and they'll toast if they stay in drive.. go holden!

Quote Originally Posted by Randell
    my girlfriend drives an 04 holden (opel/vauxhall/gm) astra auto which does this by default... as you stop the car it pops it into N, and when you lift off the brake it puts it back into D.. the manual says it's for fuel economy, but i think it's probably because there's some fault with these transmissions and they'll toast if they stay in drive.. go holden!
    These days every bit of economy counts: As all it takes is some logic, which costs no extra at all, they do it. Also they reduce warranty returns a little (or get to build the boxes more cheaply)... I'd side with Randell on that one though, surely they will calculate the MTBF on them after they've made a few models and begin incorporating more plastic parts in their trannies.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Putting it in neutral at a stop will help prolong your transmission. However if its just a short stop dont bother.

Engage the ebrake too for comfort.
    Last edited by goat128; 07-02-2007 at 05:43 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast