GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: E34: Installing a trunk release INSIDE the trunk

Default E34: Installing a trunk release INSIDE the trunk

Been watching a few TV programs about motorists getting car-jacked and forced into the trunk of their cars. Turns out this has happened over 1600 times in the USA alone, and 400 of those victims suffocated to death because they could not get out of the trunk till they ran out of oxygen.

Apparently all cars produced for the US market since the year 2001 are by law equipped with trunk-opening handles inside the trunk, though it is evidently possible to retrofit some older models with such a mechanism.

So, my question is, how does one go about modifying the inside of our beloved E34 Bimmer's trunk so that one would have a fighting chance of escaping if the unthinkable happened and one was locked in that trunk at gunpoint ? Has anyone tried this mod ? Given the electronic actuated trunk lock in the E34, would it be concievable that a panic-button electrical means of opening the trunk from the inside could work as well or better than a mechanical handle ?

Sorry to be morbid here, folks, but I was really shocked at the sheer number of people that have suffered this horrible fate at the hands of criminals, and I sure would like the peace of mind of knowing there would be a way out if it happened to me. Any ideas ?

you wont suffocate because there are huge vents inthe trunk?

Quote Originally Posted by attack eagle
    you wont suffocate because there are huge vents inthe trunk?
    Thanks for the response Eagle. I wasn't aware of the vents in the trunk and that is good news, BUT, I'd still be very anxious to bail out of the trunk at the first stop the car makes, so that internal trunk latch could definitely spell the difference between survival and becoming a statistic.

Standing by for any more ideas from y'all out there.

it wouldn't be too hard to get at the inside of the latch and open the trunk, a flashlight would be the most helpful thing, and you have the tool kit on the lid, tear away the carpet and work the latch, but if you do it too early waiting for a stop holding the trunk down the trunk open warning would come up on the cluster

personally id hit the gas and drive off, run them over, beat the **** outta them or shoot them depending on the situation, maybe all of the above if i am in a bad mood
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Wilfred are you saying the trunk release linkage can be found in the trunk lid, or in the trunk floor ?

Sure wish I had the balls to pack heat in my ride as that is for sure the best response to such threats, but with my luck I'd probably get the book thrown at me since I don't live in Texas or Florida where it is legal to carry a concealed piece in the car.

That flashlight idea is basic but brilliant. Gonna hide one in there right away.

Default I don't want no trunk release

my dates can get away before the "honey moon"

just remember 3600 pounds of BMW beats any car jacker.....run the bastard over

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

the trunk relese is mechanical,its only the locking thats electric.Take a look the latch is on the boot lid,i think there is a little tab to release it.
    Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ
    the trunk relese is mechanical,its only the locking thats electric.Take a look the latch is on the boot lid,i think there is a little tab to release it.
    Thanks Paul. I'll check that out and see how I can connect to it to make a DIY latch.

here in loserana your car is a extension of you home and you can protect it as such, but i have a carry permit that rolls over to most states so i am covered, and most of the states that don't honor my ccw i don't really wanna go to anyway
    you can get a permit in these states if you can legally own a gun http://www.packing.org/state/all_uni...stateimage=117

Quote Originally Posted by muttley
    I don't live in Texas or Florida where it is legal to carry a concealed piece in the car.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

That is a website worth learning more about, Winfred. Thanks for the link. There's a lot to be said for the old saying that God created men but Captain Colt made them all equal.

I certainly would feel safer being able to legally travel with the means to fend off bad guys, and thus never find myself in the position of needing to escape from a slammed trunk.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast