GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: e34 stereo woes

Default e34 stereo woes

ive connected up the e34 stereo and im not getting constant power, when i press the reset button on the headunit the display lights up and i hear the fan going but as soon as i let go nothing happens. the fuses are all ok and ive rechecked all the wires. so i have no idea whats wrong. god i need some help on this, thanks for ANYTHING you could provide me with.
    1995 m50 520i executive

What do you mean nothing happens? Does the display go off?

Try connecting a multimeter to the wires of the stereo to confirm that it is getting proper +12V (and to confirm that it's properly grounded).

Also, try disconnecting the speakers from the stero to see if the stero then works (OK, it'll be quiet but the display should light up and function normally). Once that's working, try reconnecting the speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    What do you mean nothing happens? Does the display go off?

Try connecting a multimeter to the wires of the stereo to confirm that it is getting proper +12V (and to confirm that it's properly grounded).

Also, try disconnecting the speakers from the stero to see if the stero then works (OK, it'll be quiet but the display should light up and function normally). Once that's working, try reconnecting the speakers.
    yeah the display goes off and the fan stops. at the moment im sick of disconnecting the negative terminal to play with the wires, is it safe to disconnect the power cables speaker cables etc without disconnecting the battery, (obviously the ignition/accessories wont be on) then ill mutlimeter everything
    1995 m50 520i executive

Quote Originally Posted by adashio
    yeah the display goes off and the fan stops. at the moment im sick of disconnecting the negative terminal to play with the wires, is it safe to disconnect the power cables speaker cables etc without disconnecting the battery, (obviously the ignition/accessories wont be on) then ill mutlimeter everything
    Yeah, you're safe to fiddle with the connectors without pulling the battery - just there's a 1 in 1000 shot of blowing the fuse while you do it. (I've never had it happen yet.)

What stereo are you installing, and how are you installing it?

IE are you using a loom convertor or have you cut the cables and soldered in a new ISO connector?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret
    Yeah, you're safe to fiddle with the connectors without pulling the battery - just there's a 1 in 1000 shot of blowing the fuse while you do it. (I've never had it happen yet.)

What stereo are you installing, and how are you installing it?

IE are you using a loom convertor or have you cut the cables and soldered in a new ISO connector?
    the owner who installed the previous stereo cut the wires and spliced them, no harness, so ive had to copy what they did, removing each wire and replacing it with the new one for my head unit.

ive just multimetered everything and im getting 12v. so dont think thats the problem, its grounding perfectly as well 2 i think

its a soundstorm dvd/mp3/cd dunno wat model

so yeah im only getting power when i press the reset button
    1995 m50 520i executive

the owner who installed the previous stereo cut the wires and spliced them, no harness, so ive had to copy what they did, removing each wire and replacing it with the new one for my head unit.

ive just multimetered everything and im getting 12v. so dont think thats the problem, its grounding perfectly as well 2 i think

its a soundstorm dvd/mp3/cd dunno wat model

so yeah im only getting power when i press the reset button
    This might sound like a silly question, but are the +12v memory and +12 ignition the correct way around?

Furthermore is the +12v memory working correctly as most headunits wont start up without it being present...

This might sound like a silly question, but are the +12v memory and +12 ignition the correct way around?

Furthermore is the +12v memory working correctly as most headunits wont start up without it being present...
    well from what i know they the 12+ memory is almost certainly in the correct position but the 12v ignition im not as sure about, there wasnt a wire on the bmw diagram to connect this wire to BUT the previous stereo had the accessory wire connected to this so this is what i connected it to.

its completly out of the car atm, there wouldnt be a switch which would make it not work unless its slid into the car would it? (long shot)
    1995 m50 520i executive

well from what i know they the 12+ memory is almost certainly in the correct position but the 12v ignition im not as sure about, there wasnt a wire on the bmw diagram to connect this wire to BUT the previous stereo had the accessory wire connected to this so this is what i connected it to.

its completly out of the car atm, there wouldnt be a switch which would make it not work unless its slid into the car would it? (long shot)
    Nah, nothing silly like that, have you got a bench psu to see if it works out of the car?

btw, +12 ignition and +12 accessory are the same things when talking about stereo looms.

Can you post a photo of the wiring?

Nah, nothing silly like that, have you got a bench psu to see if it works out of the car?

btw, +12 ignition and +12 accessory are the same things when talking about stereo looms.

Can you post a photo of the wiring?
    this is a picture of the power thingamagig, the yellow is the 12v memory and the black is the ground
    Name:  SP_A0020.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  88.9 KB
    picture 2 is what is shown when i hold down the reset button (the whole lot lights up, nothing readable.
    Name:  SP_A0026.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  65.7 KB
    picture 3 is just all the speaker conections etc
    Name:  SP_A0025.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  88.6 KB
    picture 4 is the 12v memory and brown/black ground cable (bmw has weird colour combinations, but i got a bmw diagram explainging what goes where)
    Name:  SP_A0024.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  65.3 KB
    1995 m50 520i executive

Looks to be wired wrong. The red lead from the stereo is typically the ign., the yellow to battery for memory, black is ground.
    Looks like the red is connected to a brown, that's a ground on German cars.
    Connect your black there and the red to a violet with wht stripe. The yellow to the red with wht stripe.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast