GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My car hates ethanol

Default My car hates ethanol

Since I got my car (1990 525i 5-speed) about a year ago, I had mostly filled up at Sam's Club (Wholesale Club) because the price was usually 10 to 20 cents cheaper than anywhere else. After I got a Dinan chip and started to use the higher octane fuel, I was a little concerned because the higher octane fuel at Sam's said it contained 10% ethanol. But I thought 10% can't have that much affect on stuff...

This past week I needed to fill up and Sam's was closed so I went to Shell and got the 93 octane (same octane as Sam's). The next day on the way to work I noticed an immediate improvement on the obc reading for mileage. After running through a whole tank (17+ gallons) and checking the actual mileage, I found that I got 26.2 mpg (US) with mostly highway driving. The most I EVER got before was 24.3 mpg. That's about an 8% increase in mpg's so I figure either the car hates ethanol or Sam's just carries crappy gas. With that increase in mileage and if gas stays around $3/gallon I figure I can pay over 20 cents more per gallon at Shell and still be ahead.

I know others have said not to use any ethanol because of other side effects, but I didn't really think it would cause that much difference. I'm guessing having the Dinan chip makes it all that more important.

Looks like I'll be going to Shell from now on.

Ethanol is known to cause higher fuel consumption because it carries less energy than gasoline. Thus, more fuel tends to be consumed to satisfy the power requirements of the vehicle. Its a double edged sword in a sense.

I wish I could get non-ethanol gas around me. I notice a HUGE difference in my mileage. if I try, 29mpg versus 24mpg highway with ethanol. Not to mention the improved idle, response and power with straight gas. You are not alone.

Sam's is crappy gas
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Son
    Sam's is crappy gas
    Yep.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    Yep.
    What's that?
    EuroLux:. Private Detail
    E34 1/'89 ///M20 2.5i: Lachsilber

that 10% ethanol caused an 8% reduction in fuel economy... wow, that means that 10% ethanol causes only a reduction of 2% in petroleum consumed...

BTW it's is there for emissions purposes supposedly. We get that crap gas 6 months out of the year here by law..

Default Agree

Quote Originally Posted by Rus
    Ethanol is known to cause higher fuel consumption because it carries less energy than gasoline. Thus, more fuel tends to be consumed to satisfy the power requirements of the vehicle. Its a double edged sword in a sense.
    I agree about the less energy. I wouldn't have guessed just the 10% would make that much of a difference. So are the E-85 fuels going to be even worse, or are the engines made for running the E-85 tuned for the less energy which could bring the mileage back up some? If not, the E-85 better be a fair percentage cheaper than the regular gas to make up for it.

Unless you're really into helping the environment and willing to pay the difference...bring on the hydrogen cars!

Plus ethanol is corrosive and hydrophilic.
    A bad idea brought to us by certain lobbyists and bought hook,line and sinker by the "greenies".
    Milk is about to cost $4/ gallon now because the corn that used to feed cows is now powering some *******'s Escalade.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Some form of additive will be used in gas to reduce emissions whether it is ethanol or MTBE (methanol from petroleum). And gas retailers don't have to tell you when they use either as long as it is below 10%.

Alcohol absorbs water reducing corrosion (and ice in fuel lines). Gas tanks rusted out more often before it was added than after. And it's a solvent, not a corrosive.

There isn't enough farmland to supply all the ethanol needs/energy needs of societies with high standards of living.

Allowing only Commercial vehicles to weigh over 4000 lbs would go a long way towards reducing consumption. If Americans could move away from "Bigger is better" without adding regulations, that would be best of all.

Cheers,

Fin

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast