GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: E34: 'Elegant' way of removing rear (bench) seat bottom

Default E34: 'Elegant' way of removing rear (bench) seat bottom

folks, i tried the published method of sitting on one end and pulling it up HARD - doesn't work. maybe it's because of my skinny light build

i wonder if this is indeed the 'correct' way. are there other means like poking at the 'latches' with screwdriver etc ie something that doesn't need brute force.

any pictorial guide would be appreciated as well.

I just reach in and give it a tug, i i probably weigh less than you. After you take yours out a few times it should loosen up.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Well, don't SIT on the seat while you're pulling it up, rather squat without sitting and pull up HARD! Many times! It will come off eventually!
    _

Agreed, takes a few tugs. All notions of fear of ripping your rear seat to shreds should be forgotten, and give it a few almighty tugs.

Yeah, mine gets out easier now after a few times taking it out. First time was hardest. The clamps that hold the seat down are strong so don't worry about putting your back into it (unless your back is weaker than the clamps).
    2008 audi A3 1.9tdi
    (former 1991 520i LPG)

Don't go poking around with screwdrivers, etc. You can bend the catches to the point where pulling up on the seat only jams them in worse. The solution to that is far from elegant.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by ktteoh
    i wonder if this is indeed the 'correct' way. are there other means like poking at the 'latches' with screwdriver etc ie something that doesn't need brute force.
    Wouldnt go trying to lever it up with a screwdriver as you may damage the leather/fabric of the seat. It will come up but you have to push the seat back a bit and then lift. Where I DO use a screwdriver is in locating the brackets that stick down into their 'holes' when putting the seat back in. Its not a good plan to try to do this with your fingers while you bounce up and down on the seat
    Oct '00 E46 330i. Feb '92 525i (departed)

Its not that hard,really.Back door wide open both feet on ground,bend in to the rear seat both hands on bottom edge of seat near the corner fingers gripping the bottom edge.Pull up firmly.... it will come up! Repeat for other corner
    Gone but not forgotten

Everybody has their own way - I straddle the trans hump, back against the rear seat back, no bum on the seat, grab hold of the front of the seat on each side of the hump, and pull up smartly. Voila!
    June 88 535iA, 173,000 km; Sep 00 735i 170,000 km

just grab the seat on the corner, next to the rear door hinges, and just pull UPWARDS. that's it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast