GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP,suspension problems! LOUD "KLUNKS"

Default HELP,suspension problems! LOUD "KLUNKS"

well im running koni adjustables and vogtland springs, pretty new, ive only had um in for about 5 months...this past week ive noticed that the front drivers side has been klunking really loud, over lil bumps, and on the freeway it sounds like somthing rattling, over speed bumps it dips harder then the passenger side and klunks really loud.ive already checked it out for busted bushings or anything broken but i couldnt find anything wrong...maybe the sway bar links? i cant tell?

or one of my buddies said maybe the shock is out? like manufacture malfunction? but im pretty sure id really be able to tell if the shock when out, right?

i appreciate any input! thanks for reading, heres a pic, shes just been sitting in my garage, dont wanna drive her and make anything worse!

Let's trouble shoot this thing!

-Go to both corners and push down on the car... does it move?
    -Have you checked the shock mounts... is something pushing through?
    -Get under there... what about the sway bar mounts and their links, does everything check out?
    -Control Arms... Thrust Arms..... Check, CHECK!
    -This is going out on a limb... how do the springs look?

I'm in serious doubt that the new cartridges are out of wack. I was all pissed off at Koni because my back end was bouncing all over the place after 2000 miles... turned out that I didn't install a large washer on the top of the shock mount and it ripped everything to shreads! Be patient, check EVERYTHING and then get pissed off at Koni if it's their cartridge.

Good luck!
    -Eric
    (OO ( )( ) OO)
    1995 BMW 540i
    Minneapolis Bimmer Group Founder

the strut retaining collar is probably loose, it's the threaded ring that holds the strut cartridge in the housing, it can be tightened with a monkey wrench or big channel locks, jack that corner of the car up enough to see the collar and get after it with the tool, don't go absolutely nuts as you can strip the threads but good and tight works, if you get more then about a half turn on it without blowing out an ******* that's probably where the noise was coming from
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    if you get more then about a half turn on it without blowing out an *******
    you certainly have a way with words Winfred,I can sorta feel just how.....tight........that........................w ould.....BE!
    Gone but not forgotten

I'm with Winfred on this. Both the rattle and the excessive dip on that side would be explained by the cartridge retaining nut being loose or even backed right out of the top of the strut.
    June 88 535iA, 173,000 km; Sep 00 735i 170,000 km

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ
    you certainly have a way with words Winfred,I can sorta feel just how.....tight........that........................w ould.....BE!

LOL....that was funny!

See if you can replicate the sound by grabbing under the front fender and bouncing the car. You might need a friend to lend a hand listening or bouncing for you. Here's an idea, pick a chick with big boobs and have her do the bouncing....

Worn sway bar links can cause this type of sound also. You should be able to locate it using help though, whatever it is, let us know what you find.

JR

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    the strut retaining collar is probably loose, it's the threaded ring that holds the strut cartridge in the housing, it can be tightened with a monkey wrench or big channel locks, jack that corner of the car up enough to see the collar and get after it with the tool, don't go absolutely nuts as you can strip the threads but good and tight works, if you get more then about a half turn on it without blowing out an ******* that's probably where the noise was coming from
    any pics of this collar? not sure i understand, thanks.

it holds the strut cartiridge in the strut tower... grab a flashlight and look through the gap between the top of your tire and the fender lip... youll see the spring... within the spring is the collar... it's flat on top... poke around and you'll see it.. nothing is hiding it from your view except maybe the plastic bump stop sleeve which just slides up out of the way
    1994 540ia|Oxford Green Metallic|Lemforder|KYB in H&R|18" OE Staggered M-Parallel with Pirelli P-Zero

ive checked all the controls arms and sway bar link, etc...no busted bushings everything seems to be fine. i tried to tighten the strut housing but it wouldnt budge, both sides seem to be even with the amount of tread showing.

heres the drivers side( the side making all the noise)

andd heres the passenger side

i dont know what else to check for!

did you check the strut mounts? in the engine compartment where you tighten the 19 or 22mm strut top nut... could be a mount.. could be a strut

but if the noise is this pronounced as you say, it should become obvious what it is...

did you follow the initial instructions to trrouble shoot from triton540i?? what were the results?
    1994 540ia|Oxford Green Metallic|Lemforder|KYB in H&R|18" OE Staggered M-Parallel with Pirelli P-Zero

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast