GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Never do business with Vines Automotive

Default Never do business with Vines Automotive

Anyone in the southeast and looking to buy used bmw parts Do not go to Vines Automotive in Bessemer, AL. They don't stand behind their parts. I purchased a used transmission and was reassured that it was a good working unit. I replaced seals filter & gasket and paid $500 to have it installed. It was worse than the one I had in the car. So vines auto said they will ship me another one. No reimbursement for all the money I wasted on the first swap out. They said they tested the second one before shipping. The second tested tranny is in after another hefty install fee and it still is not working properly. I took it to two different shops and both say there is no fault in the installation that in fact it is a bad tranny. I tell vines that and even offer to tow the car out for them to see for themselves. they declined my offer and are not willing to do anything about it. They say it was whoever installed it's fault. I am going to pull it out one last time and have it repaired and save the broken/faulty parts and maybye take this thing to court.

That sucks man.

I've gotta say, I bought a rebuilt unit from them also (a Getrag 5spd manual) and overall I was pretty unimpressed with the whole ordeal (but nothing as bad as what you're going through).

The clutch pivot pin was broken, has to swap that over from the old unit. Then, when I installed it, I found that the unit had a crack in it. Vines would only offer to ship a new one (after I shipped the old one back, which meant I had to pay to have the trans pulled again...)

I opted to let them offer me a discount on the cracked trans if I could patch it with some JB weld, which I did, but I think its starting to leak again. I found a spot on the garage this morning, and its grinded once or twice when going into 4th, so I think the oil may be low. I'll have to get back in there tonight and try to patch it up again.

Bottom line is, I agree, their "rebuilt" units are generally pretty poor quality. Definitely not something I would purchase unless dealing with them locally and had immediate turn around.
    93 525i / 01 330Ci / 98 Camry / 91 Volvo 240 / 99 Jeep GC

This seems a common outcome for folks who have ordered from Vines, especially transmissions.
    It costs them nothing to replace a bad unit and since they won't reimburse for labor why should they even check a unit.
    Tested? My ass. Rebuilt? Washed maybe.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

It was $2100 when all was said and done from Kirt (after he reimb'd for the core when my indy sent it back to him.

Bottom line is nothing will ever perform like the brand new one, even the reman'd one from the stealer. That's just a plain fact. Kirt's comes the closest however.

~6 speed~ Rear Fogs ~ Shadowline ~ Tow Package ~ OEMMM///S38B38

That two install charge plus the price of the used tranny and two consults are already the price rebuilt tranny in the first place.

Still... if you ended up with the wrong person for the rebuild... that money is also gone too. But you get to hound that guy to death. LOL

Default Well, no duh....

and I say this to all from the South with all due respect, but

It's ALABAMA !!

The home of Forest Gump and many other well proven morons. The owner's parents are also likely brother and sister from a litter of other inbread hicks.

I got a A/C blower from them, which promptly died after about 2 months. I only was out of $20 plus shipping.

File a complaint or leave negative feedback with Ebay.

JD

Don't make me come over there and slap you around while wearing overalls and a wife beater, spitting tobacky juice and waiving dixie... OK?

you were probly better off ordering from the euro depot.
    Mark

1999 M3 Cosmos Black/ Black 78k
    1994 540i Oxford Green/ Silver Grey Sold @ 133k
    1995 M3 Arctic Silver/Black Sold @ 117k
    1990 325i Zinnobar Red/Black Sold @ 115k

I've heard similar stories so I'll never buy anything from them...
    1994 540ia|Oxford Green Metallic|Lemforder|KYB in H&R|18" OE Staggered M-Parallel with Pirelli P-Zero

I have had good luck with them so far.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast