GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new brushes in old alternator voltage regulator

Unregistered Guest

Default new brushes in old alternator voltage regulator

14 year old Bosch alternator's voltage regulator brushes are down to ~1/6" exposed length, and springs are nearly at full extension. So, time for new voltage regulator (sorta expensive) or at least new brushes (cheap).

Has anybody successfully installed new brushes in an old regulator? How to get the remnants of the old brushes out, and properly seat new ones?

Advise and guidance much appreciated!

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    14 year old Bosch alternator's voltage regulator brushes are down to ~1/6" exposed length, and springs are nearly at full extension. So, time for new voltage regulator (sorta expensive) or at least new brushes (cheap).

Has anybody successfully installed new brushes in an old regulator? How to get the remnants of the old brushes out, and properly seat new ones?

Advise and guidance much appreciated!
    I have replaced the brushes but not on my own.Sent it to an electrician.He de-soldered the old brushes out and re-soldered new ones in.Very cheap fix and costs 7x less than a new voltage regulator.
    A word of caution tho...the voltage regulator may not like the excessive heat of the soldering iron....

Default automotive....

alternator brushes come with a 1/8 diameter circular backing, holding the spring in, with a little nub so that it will fit through the contact hole for soldering. all's you really need to know, if you already can solder, is that you need to use silver solder, not regular electrical stuff....depending on the specific number of your regulator, bma may be able to get you a generic regulator for around 13 plus shipping, far more of a worry free choice than soldering brushes, plus you can fix the old and keep it as a spare.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default Voltage regulators are not expensive (m)

Just buy a new one, order it from BMA.

this might save you a headache....

i don't think you mentioned which car you had.....if you have the alt out, and can verify the number on the transistor, i'd compare to my old post, here

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=1222

as the top one, which didn't fit my 140a bosch, was the cheapest, and i had to get the middle one, which had no generic equiv, and was over $60. if you order from bma, be sure to specify the number.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Unregistered Guest

Thanks, all, especially Ryan, for your insight and suggestions.

My voltage regulator looks just like the top one on Ryan's attached picture. The only difference that I can see is the last digit in the part number, and that his is made in Spain. My (made in Germany) part number is 1 197 311 027, versus 028 suffix on Ryan's.

BTW, Ryan, what did BMA charge you for your 1 197 311 028, which did not fit your alternator?

Default I don't get you guys

I'd rather pay $30 more for the part than the pieces of the part.........that $30 represents saved frustration. Maybe if you are Bill R or Winfred and have done this dozens of times, then go for the saving $ angle. If this was an interior trim piece or some part that doesn't matter, then I can also understand saving money, but this is the voltage regulator for your alternator.......why bother messing around?

Oh, the solid state circuitry in your voltage regulator can fail too......I suggest just replacing the whole thing, and that if your voltage regulator is truly 14 years old, chances are the electronics are aging as well.

Default I agree Scott, the only way I would attempt to do a brushes only change is

if I was stranded in East jesus and there were no other parts available, otherwise replace the regulator and brushes as a unit..

QUOTE=Scott H]I'd rather pay $30 more for the part than the pieces of the part.........that $30 represents saved frustration. Maybe if you are Bill R or Winfred and have done this dozens of times, then go for the saving $ angle. If this was an interior trim piece or some part that doesn't matter, then I can also understand saving money, but this is the voltage regulator for your alternator.......why bother messing around?

Oh, the solid state circuitry in your voltage regulator can fail too......I suggest just replacing the whole thing, and that if your voltage regulator is truly 14 years old, chances are the electronics are aging as well.[/QUOTE]

the top one was the cheap one.....about $35 for the bosch article from bma...the generic that fit that one was about 13 or 14. i don't fix cars for a living, but apparently bosch part no supercessions are not uncommon, so it might just be the new version of your regulator....country of manufacture is pretty irrelevant, if it says bosch.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    Thanks, all, especially Ryan, for your insight and suggestions.

My voltage regulator looks just like the top one on Ryan's attached picture. The only difference that I can see is the last digit in the part number, and that his is made in Spain. My (made in Germany) part number is 1 197 311 027, versus 028 suffix on Ryan's.

BTW, Ryan, what did BMA charge you for your 1 197 311 028, which did not fit your alternator?

my local tinfoil hat store/electronics/military surplus store has two very nice carbon brushes with the solder **** already on for 2/$1.50, a tempting proposition when bma told me that my regulator was AT LEAST $60 (didn't know exactly how much, he said), which is 1/4 the price of a new alternator. same store has starter brushes for $1.25 or 3 each.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott H
    I'd rather pay $30 more for the part than the pieces of the part.........that $30 represents saved frustration. Maybe if you are Bill R or Winfred and have done this dozens of times, then go for the saving $ angle. If this was an interior trim piece or some part that doesn't matter, then I can also understand saving money, but this is the voltage regulator for your alternator.......why bother messing around?

Oh, the solid state circuitry in your voltage regulator can fail too......I suggest just replacing the whole thing, and that if your voltage regulator is truly 14 years old, chances are the electronics are aging as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast