GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Loud Clicking Noise

Default Loud Clicking Noise

89 535..... 150K

Usually after the car warms up a loud deep sounding clicking noise begins when driving or reversing... A slight ticking vibration can be felt when I put my hand on the console... sounds like its in the middle of the car... sort of like a motorcycle sound but clicking... Doesn't make the sound in park... only when moving and the faster I go the faster the clicking... For some reason hitting the brake hard when it warms up triggers it... When driving and I hit the brake the sound changes to like a snare drum and the sound decelerates at the same time...

Havn't been able to get under the car yet to check it out,,, Was thinkin Cat or heat schield

Thanks for you help...

If you're driving a manual I'd be looking at the guibo (flexible rubber coupler between the gearbox output shaft and the tailshaft). I've got a vision of bits of rubber flicking out from the tatty remains of a guibo on its last legs ...
    June 88 535iA, 173,000 km; Sep 00 735i 170,000 km

Its my friends car... he just called me from the shop... its the drive shaft... said it look like he ran over something cause it messed with the trans support too... said any moment it would have broken... That plus the support for the trans is $350... that price sounds good to me... haha... not my car but the price sounds reasonable...

The drive shaft was my first thought because of the clicking but it sounded like it was in the exhaust... Center bearing was the actual problem allowing the drive shaft to hang down and push the heat shield which actuall caused the noise...

Car is running great now...
    Last edited by Visions; 06-25-2007 at 05:24 PM.

Update...

He drove home and now when he puts it into park it isn't in park its like neutral... I went with him to pick up the car and I drove it around the parking lot and the first thing I noticed was the gear selector didn't say ED it just said E yet it drove fine...

So he drove it to my home to show me and all the gears are wrong... I think its an easy fix I just have to remember how to do it... it could be dirty or something from what I recall but since they moved the trans a bit and put a new support on it I think the cable is moved...

I'll search the site here but if you have the answer that would be great...

thanks for your help
    Last edited by Visions; 06-25-2007 at 06:26 PM.

Ok I found out how to clean the selector...

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_13.htm

This seams like the logical problem since as you move the selector the console shows different gears randomly...

I'm not sure if the shift cable to the trans can be adjusted...