GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Alu and Steel LCAs interchangable?

Default Are Alu and Steel LCAs interchangable?

Just having a nosey at the parts shops for some lower control arms as I noticed my balljoints are totally shot at... and there's steel and aluminium lower control arms.

There's a massive price difference of nearly double for the alu control arms so I was wondering if they're interchangable? Lemfoerder parts would be real nice but I really dont want to have to shell out $140/arm.

no need to pay for aluminum, steels are fine and do interchange. I didnt notice any difference at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret
    Just having a nosey at the parts shops for some lower control arms as I noticed my balljoints are totally shot at... and there's steel and aluminium lower control arms.

There's a massive price difference of nearly double for the alu control arms so I was wondering if they're interchangable? Lemfoerder parts would be real nice but I really dont want to have to shell out $140/arm.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Yes they are interchangeable I believe the aluminium arms are M5 arms.

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    no need to pay for aluminum, steels are fine and do interchange. I didnt notice any difference at all.
    cool, for the replies guys, the balljoints are moving enough in the current alu arms that if you give the wheel a firm smack, it moves a good inch :O only noticed it while I was doing the brakes...

Might as well do the bearings while I'm under there as they've started to howl.

Damn this cars turned into a liability lol.

Is there space to get a ball joint separator in there? (Which I've already got handy) or will it need something more substantial like a pickle-fork?

cool, for the replies guys, the balljoints are moving enough in the current alu arms that if you give the wheel a firm smack, it moves a good inch :O only noticed it while I was doing the brakes...

Is there space to get a ball joint separator in there? (Which I've already got handy) or will it need something more substantial like a pickle-fork?
    if you're using new arms you can just use a pickle fork and don't have to be careful and use a seperator. but I think you can use either.

be careful to get the right bearings if you go to G&S,early and late are different due to a difference in the stub axle,the wrong ones will go again fast and G&S do not know the difference.Check the flanges on yours(assuming they were original) are the same as supplied.There is a thread somewhere showing this.Keep at it and good luck,no better car when its right!

You might want to upgrade the bushing to the M/5 bushing. I did and wont look back.

95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

My 10/92 build 525i has/had the aluminum arms. I've replaced (1) w/steel due to a bad ball joint.

Paul Shovestul

Quote Originally Posted by rob101
    Yes they are interchangeable I believe the aluminium arms are M5 arms.
    .....Got to keep the loonies on the paath.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellicose Right Winger
    My 10/92 build 525i has/had the aluminum arms. I've replaced (1) w/steel due to a bad ball joint.

Paul Shovestul
    interesting....

My 95 used to alumunum too. I replaced with steel.

'01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast