GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear fogs finally completed on the Touring

Default Rear fogs finally completed on the Touring

I still need to install the dash cluster indicator bulb to call it "complete" but they are working...

Things I discovered:

It's easy to take out the reverse/fog lightassemblies if you have a 1/4 drive 8mm deep well socket. If not, you have to take the entire inner gate skin off.

Tourings use a bulb socket that is not the same as the Sedan... it is the same as an E32 reverse socket.

The contacts are different from those used on a sedan's tailights as well. I managed to make the ones I cannabalized from a set of sedan tailights work after bending them to the new shape. (thanks again BuckNaked for the contacts!!!)

I found it much easier to run a single wire on the right side into the gate (it has the smaller harness) and then parallel the positive leads by running a wire from the right side to the left. These wires I then soldered to the wire leads from the canabalized contacts.

I used the existing ground for the reverse bulbs as the ground for the fog light bulbs. It was a simple matter to tin the wires and solder them together.

I picked up a relay that had a diode already built into it to protect the OEM switch from induced voltage when turned off. This I tucked just to the right of the battery, where it is easy to get to if needed, but out of the way. If you are using a bosch (now tyco) relay, you will want to install your own diode.

Otherwise it's just following directions from www.bmwe34.net.

I was impressed by the light pattern from the rear fogs. It isn't just an extra positioning light, but actually illuminates behind you like the brake lights do.

Crummy pictures, dirty car, busy Dad w/ 2 sick kids working during naptime...
    Tommorrow it gets a bath, and maybe better pictures.

Last edited by attack eagle; 06-22-2007 at 09:19 PM.

good job. welcome to the club. next job westphalia tow bar and headlight adjusters!

these are also good for getting punks off your ass in traffic without having to apply the brakes...or thanking truckers on long hauls

you will find a certain sense of satisfaction, not to mention safety when on the highway in light but persistent rain and there's traffic and tons of road spray kicked up in the air....you also get that extra amber headlight lit in the instrument panel.

from the old pic files with the old bumper

~6 speed~ Rear Fogs ~ Shadowline ~ Tow Package ~ OEMMM///S38B38

I've already got the headlight adjusters

No Westphalia for me, since I will never tow anything with it. Especially since my inlaws have both an 87 Chevy pickup and an Expedition, and my sis in law has an 07 F150...

That would just be the excuse needed for some friends to say... "could you tow my shoddy broke down car to the shop?" "Could you haul a uhaul trailer from my old house to the new one? " etc.
    Last edited by attack eagle; 06-22-2007 at 10:47 PM.

THATS WHAT THAT SECTION ON THE TAIL LIGHT IS!????

I thought it was reflectors or something.

oh yeah, 530touring... what extra amber?

I'm pretty sure both my fog indicators are green... certainly looked that way though I haven't put the bulb in yet.

front fogs = green,rear fogs = amber.Please be selective when you use em.Its a real pain in the retina to follow a rear fogged car in relatively clear conditions.I only use mine if its really foggy or heavy rain,or as geoof does to convey a message to tailgaters or high beamers behind me.
    Gone but not forgotten

us 5ers don't have those fogs installed??? god bless our euro wonders withouth ANY restrictions ))

Sometimes it's fun to tow a little trailer with yard dirt or the Mule ATV in this lil trailer...

I know westphalia systems have been known to produce some things out there

but what I really want to tow is this.V

This one takes the bmw 11 pin pigtail too that has (to not totally hijack this thread....rear fogs)

I mean bmw's have been pullin crap for decades

Some people just gotta fit all the toys in

What in the world is that RV? With a Mercedes SLK inside it? A personal rolling garage?!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast