GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Does a loaded E34 OBC plug into a car with a lame OBC?

Default Does a loaded E34 OBC plug into a car with a lame OBC?

Hey Guys,

New poster. Just picked up my first E34 last week and have a few questions for all you experts out there.

First, the car I believe doesn't have the 'premium package', which as far as I can tell so far, means that I have leatherette (which still looks new), the plain-jane wheels, and no wood trim. The worst part is that I was so hooked on the on-board computers on my last E30 and now the one I have only has like 4 buttons (time, date, that's about it). If I can find a snazzy one with all the buttons, does it plug and play into where my old one went? And will all the functions work?

The one on the right is what I have, and left is what I want.

Cheers!

Almost plug-and-play. The plastic "cage" or frame is suited only for the digital clock/temp gauge, and not the complete OBC. You can either dremel / cut / file out the back of the cage so that the complete OBC can snap in nicely, or pull the whole cage out and replace it with one that accommodates the complete OBC (can be had from a breaker or ebay). Other than that, it's pretty painless, I did the swap myself some time back.

that about sums it up... i have one for sale in classifieds.. buy it so my kids can eat!
    1994 540ia|Oxford Green Metallic|Lemforder|KYB in H&R|18" OE Staggered M-Parallel with Pirelli P-Zero

Quote Originally Posted by Evan
    that about sums it up... i have one for sale in classifieds.. buy it so my kids can eat!
    Now I've just gotta figure out whether a TDs will just accept one of these things, or whether it needs a programming plug in it.