GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT... What do you guys know about 944 turbos?

TC535i Guest

Default OT... What do you guys know about 944 turbos?

Would probably cost me somewhere in the 6-7k range. Would be replacing the 318is for fun/track/auto-x duty. Some aftermarket suspension stuff, lowered with camber plates (not because he drove hard, but because if he lowered it, he didn't want uneven tire wear, so he did it "right"). Got a chip with a wastegate shim, probably doing about 250hp in a ~2800 lb car.

Belt done 5k ago, no idea if it's original clutch or not. He said he'd reupholster the seat (~$600), I'd rather save the $$ and put my Sparcos in it.

What's the lowdown on this thing? I know the clutch is a 15 hr job, reseal/water pump/timing belt is ~$1600 job at a shop, etc etc... What do you think? Worth replacing the 318 with? What's the deal with these cars?

Helluva lot faster than a 318, that's for sure. Also a helluva lot more money to maintain them. Go to www.rennlist.com and find absolutely everything you could ever want to find out about Porsches. They have an extremely active 924/944/968 board.
    1991 e34 M5 Sterlingsilber/light silvergrey
    Shadowline
    French Fogs
    Hella Euro Ellipsoids+Philips HID
    Sport II Steering wheel
    e38 M Parallels

it is not an inexpensive car to maintain.

TC535i Guest

Quote Originally Posted by VentoGT
    Helluva lot faster than a 318, that's for sure. Also a helluva lot more money to maintain them. Go to www.rennlist.com and find absolutely everything you could ever want to find out about Porsches. They have an extremely active 924/944/968 board.
    Well, to be fair, the 318 is supercharged and on coilovers... but I still think out of the box it would be at least equal on a course where the turbo could stretch it's legs a little (buttonwillow, probably not streets or willow, etc)

The signifigantly higher maintenance cost is making me think I should just pass, and pick up an M3 track rat instead. At least then my suspension will swap over...

I would also look at 944 S2, they are almost as fast as the turbo and slightly less costly to maintain.

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

TC535i Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rob101
    I would also look at 944 S2, they are almost as fast as the turbo and slightly less costly to maintain.
    Yeah, I'm not really looking... this one just came up, and I'm considering getting rid of the 318 anyways...

the engine has two balancer shafts and they are the key to the car. If the person who did the cam-belt did not do the balancer belts and replace the water-pump then walk awaym fast.If its a 220hp then its only good for about 260 reliably, the 250hp has oil-cooled pistons and many other tricks, it will cope with 350 all day and can,if looked after,be a heap of fun.The S model(silver rose in UK) has bigger brakes and an LSD an is the one to have for fun.If you`re going to throw the seats out then go the whole hog and you can lose about 225kgs from the right places which really changes things.Enjoy.I did for eight years.

Yeah I'm looking at getting a 944S in the next six months.

What year is the car? that can also make a big difference.

TC535i Guest

It's an 88 non-S. Brakes are supposed to be pretty good, I think the S got Big Reds? I know the belt was done and this guy does repairs right (he's not trying to save a couple bucks), so I'll see what else was done. Do the balance shaft belts have to be done every 30k with the timing belt? How many miles will the water pump go? What about the clutch (my main concern)?

Quote Originally Posted by TC535i
    It's an 88 non-S. Brakes are supposed to be pretty good, I think the S got Big Reds? I know the belt was done and this guy does repairs right (he's not trying to save a couple bucks), so I'll see what else was done. Do the balance shaft belts have to be done every 30k with the timing belt? How many miles will the water pump go? What about the clutch (my main concern)?
    not sure about the clutch, but to my knowledge the balance belts must be done with the timing belt and the water pump "should" be replaced at that time also.

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-ma...ure-index3.htm

http://www.clarks-garage.com/
    this should help too, the top link is a direct link to the "shop manual" part of the website.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast