GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: License Plate Bulb Harness Bad?

Default License Plate Bulb Harness Bad?

I got the License Plate Bulb warning .Replaced the bulb but no light,warning remained. I tried the bulb in the functioning receptacle and it lit then i swapped receptacles . The bulb holder which was not lighting when switched to the plug which was lighting and with the tested good bulb lit there so both bulb receptacles are functioning. Where is the problem. No other lights are out and i see the plate bulb wires splice into the trunk lights harness. Can i buy the plug cut off with some wire length from somewhere like Euro Depot and splice that in or will i find the problem elsewhere? The metal holder parts were caked with green oxidation and the bulb was black yet it as i said did work when swapped to the other side..
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

I'd check the wiring at the trunk hinge, probably more likely to fail. Driver's side, you may see some broken insulation.

coolio,thank ye...

I had the exact same problem about a week ago. Colo525i's advice is exactly what was wrong with my license plate light, one wire had broken in half and the other for the one light that was out had a broken shield. A buttsplice should take care of it. I find it amazing that the engineers at BMW would run wires into the trunk like this without more protection.

Anyway, good luck getting it fixed, hopefully the damaged wires are as easy to spot as mine.

is it by any chance a Blue wire? I looked and while i had to drive off without looking more closely i clearly saw a Blue wire was severed.Looked like others in that bundle were broken but I'll look again.

I couldnt tell you what color the wires are, but chances are if its severed its part of your problem. I think one wire for my right license plate light was red and the other was blue, this is without looking though. If you need I can go out and look to be sure, just let me know.

No need I'll find out as soon as i splice whatever are broken together again,lol.. Thanks all the same.

Default Fixed

That was it. Two severed wires.Spliced and fixed...