GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel pump hissing sound?

Default Fuel pump hissing sound?

My fuel pump is making a hissing sound (sounds like a leaky exhaust). The BMW tech told me that this is normal for the E34 pumps to make noticeable noise from the passenger rear corner. The noise seemed to be little louder than it used to be today morning or maybe it’s just me being paranoid… Is my fuel pump going bad? Is this normal? Does everybody with E34 have the sound like this from the passenger rear corner? Could a bad fuel filter cause the pump to make more noticeable noise? What do you think Bill R or Winfred? I think it is time to change the fuel filter so I’ll probably change that today.

Last edited by Rick L; 05-09-2004 at 09:42 AM.
    RICK
    BMW 1995 525i (Alpine White)

Unregistered Guest

Default russet

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L
    My fuel pump is making a hissing sound (sounds like a leaky exhaust). The BMW tech told me that this is normal for the E34 pumps to make noticeable noise from the passenger rear corner. The noise seemed to be little louder than it used to be today morning or maybe it’s just me being paranoid… Is my fuel pump going bad? Is this normal? Does everybody with E34 have the sound like this from the passenger rear corner? Could a bad fuel filter cause the pump to make more noticeable noise? What do you think Bill R or Winfred? I think it is time to change the fuel filter so I’ll probably change that today.

Default Fuel pump noise

Replace the filter, clogged filters tend to make the pump strain and make more noise.

Warren
    91 318is
    95 525iT

Default I'd change the filter too, but the noise may persist anyway.... and you're

paranoia is probably making it sound louder than it is...
    I've seen some cars where the pump noise gradually gets louder and louder until it fails usually years later and others that have made more noise right from the installation, unless you really notice it getting louder quickly I wouldn't get too concerned

Default I've been noticing the same thing on mine for...

for over a year. No difference after changing the fuel filter. My indy does not recommend changing the pump 'til it fails. But Mike miller (Roundel & Bimmer thinks they should be changed by the mid 100ks, if they haven't failed already. I may change mine in preparation for a trip through the Rockies (where a breakdown might be unusually inconvenient). They are available through discount sources for about $200. Not too hard to change, from what I hear. But I might feel really depressed if the new one is just as noisey.

Default mine has hissed since I have owned my car...

I thought they all did.
    George

Default I wouldn't be surprised. It's just that...

It took me about a year of ownership before I NOTICED it. It was probably doing it from the beginning. (After all, how often do we stand behind the car with the motor running?)

Quote Originally Posted by George M
    I thought they all did.
    George

cadman Guest

I never noticed mine until one day I was working on the car with the engine running, my son was walking by the back of the car and said "Pops, your tire is leaking". Wasn't the tire but my fuel pump.... that was last year, still working...

Default No difference after replacing fuel filter but not a problem.

Thanks to all who replied… I replaced the fuel filter today and no change in the audible fuel pump. I guess the hissing sound is something I could live with. I don’t notice the sound unless I’m at the rear passenger corner. Like Warren said, “After all, how often do we stand behind the car with the motor running?” I’ll be in the driver’s seat and DRIVING!
    RICK
    BMW 1995 525i (Alpine White)

I just had mine replaced a couple of weeks ago, and the new one makes a noticable hissing noise. The old one did as well. Before the old one died though, the noise got significantly worse (louder, and accompanied by kind of popping/crunching noises). I was also having trouble starting. If everything else is fine, I wouldn't worry about it.

Damon H
    1990 535i 5spd 205,000mi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast