GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Radio Anti-Theft Lockout ?

Default Radio Anti-Theft Lockout ?

I'm struggling to get my radio to come back to life after having disconnecting the battery several times over the winter. It's the Pioneer version MBZ-83 if memory serves, but I might be wrong.

The problem is that it won't prompt me for "CODE". This is suppose to be a security feature after 3 wrong entrys for the code, but as I understand it the radio should allow re-entry of code after being on for an hour with the Key in the number one position. I've tried this and also left it on with the key in the on/motor running position.

During my replacement of the heater core and disconnecting the battery again-it did prompt for code and allowed one attempt which it wouldn't except the code, and went back in to lock out mode.

Any suggestions or hints? Is this a known failure mode of the radio and do I need to get a replacement?

Thanks in advance,

Tom Der
    North Hampton, NH
    90 535i
    91 M3

Verify that both the switched 12volt and the constant 12volt power is at the radio and that ground is connected.

Paul Shovestul

Quote Originally Posted by Tder
    I'm struggling to get my radio to come back to life after having disconnecting the battery several times over the winter. It's the Pioneer version MBZ-83 if memory serves, but I might be wrong.

The problem is that it won't prompt me for "CODE". This is suppose to be a security feature after 3 wrong entrys for the code, but as I understand it the radio should allow re-entry of code after being on for an hour with the Key in the number one position. I've tried this and also left it on with the key in the on/motor running position.

During my replacement of the heater core and disconnecting the battery again-it did prompt for code and allowed one attempt which it wouldn't except the code, and went back in to lock out mode.

Any suggestions or hints? Is this a known failure mode of the radio and do I need to get a replacement?

Thanks in advance,

Tom Der
    North Hampton, NH
    90 535i
    91 M3
    .....Got to keep the loonies on the paath.

Default Mystery Solved

As it turns out the radio was probably accepting the code, however during current draw troubleshooting last fall/early winter before I stored the car. I had disconnected the power to the trunk mounted CD changer. As it turns out if the cd changer isn't getting power, but the remote control cable is still connected to the head unit, it locks up the head unit. Restoring power to the changer or removing the remote control cable brings the radio back to life.

Tom Der
    90 535i
    91 M3
    05 MCS (on order)

Quote Originally Posted by Bellicose Right Winger
    Verify that both the switched 12volt and the constant 12volt power is at the radio and that ground is connected.

Paul Shovestul