GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: I hate driving into London. Also Diesel update.

Default I hate driving into London. Also Diesel update.

Crappiest narrow windy road traffic system I've ever had to deal with.
    That and someone doored my car while it was parked at the Richmond Hill hotel.

>:/

Bastards wont be too happy when they get back to their own car though.
    Seriously, what is it with people in the south of the UK bashing your car doors cos they're too lazy to open their doors properly and not use another car as 'buffers'?

</rant>

Anyways, finally found time to change the o-ring seal in the fuel tank of my 525TDs, and what a difference it's made!

Car starts much better, there's no lumpyness in the idle any more... and holy cow batman, it keeps its power in the 3-5k rpm range now instead of fading.

I've also discovered why the wiring has apparently burned out on my fuel pump circuit. It turns out that there's a wiring fault, intentional or not, that keeps the pump circuit live at all times when the engine's not running. Yes, you've guessed it sports fans the pump will have been running constantly while the engine was shut down and there was no-one in the car.

As a direct consequence, the pump itself is actually worn beyond servicable limits, producing zero in the way of priming pressure. Looks like a trip to gsf or euro car parts to grab a new pump.

The pump relay is live at all times the key is out of the ignition at the moment, and is actually getting quite hot while the cars shut down. I've pulled it for now, while I figure out a way of repairing it...

Great news on the O-ring thing.

Do you know if this problem also is present with the 524td model? I'm having some "problems" starting up. It idles very roughly for a few seconds until I give it some gas, and it goes away.

Just curious if your O-ring discovery could be the cure. Otherwise the engine is great.

Niels

Am trying to get round to changing mine over,got a hell of a deal from strealer,my pump may be ok but doing it anyway,if you want it drive south and its all yours. As for 524td helpers in north germany, can reccommend one in Paderborn but it may be cheaper to come to uk(!), the cost,cheap ferry, will be offset by much cheaper labour,that said 524`s were never sold here.If wiring will go then it may be cheaper to buy a wreck with a good motor and transplant.Come to think of it, try a scrap yard in Germany, as you would expect they are very organised but cheap!