GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotor change without caliper carrier removal?

Default Rotor change without caliper carrier removal?

Does anyone know if the front and rear rotors/discs will come off the hub with the caliper carrier still attached? IE caliper removed, but I cant get the carrier off the knuckle as someone's impact wrenched them on :/

Just had a scary brake fade episode driving the car hard, and the brake rotors are now blue. Any help would be much appreciated.

I dont think they will. Get yourself a breaker bar. 1/2" or larger. If that isnt enough use a cheater bar over the breaker. Put some wd-40 on the bolts before you try removing them. The more time you can give it to soak in the better.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret
    Does anyone know if the front and rear rotors/discs will come off the hub with the caliper carrier still attached? IE caliper removed, but I cant get the carrier off the knuckle as someone's impact wrenched them on :/

Just had a scary brake fade episode driving the car hard, and the brake rotors are now blue. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Suspect you cant get the disc off without removing the carrier as the studs are in the way. Been in a big hurry a couple of times and just drifted a couple of studs in with a block of wood and a hammer-they are only splined after all. That way I was able to replace the discs. To pull the studs back out I just 'started' them in the splines, popped a wheel on and tighened the wheel nuts. I have not done this with a BM (yet) and cant overstress its risks.

Forget the above. Silliest thing I ever wrote. BMs have bolts, not wheel nuts.
    Last edited by whiskychaser; 06-11-2007 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Brain not engaged

Nope, no way. They are always very tight. Nothing a long pipe won't cure.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Smoke Wrench? Put some heat on it and hit it with the impact wrench. Otherwise heat+long breaker bar+cheater pipe over breaker bar to get it loose. I had some caliper bolts on my 240SX that didn't want to move, ended up shearing the head off the bolt popping the caliper off, and taking the bolt out with a pipe wrench and heat.

PB Plaster! I started putting it on a couple of days before and gave em a good squirt a couple of times. I went and bought a good 1/2" 8point 19mm socket to use with my breaker bar. It was a bitch but I got her off. While you are at it, better give the rotor retaining bolt a little shot of PB.
    Good Luck!

Get a flex breaker bar from Sears and anything is possible.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

There are few Snap-on tools worth the money but 13,15,17,19mm and a breaker bar are worth every penny.If you have a friend with a rattle gun or know anybody at Kwik-Fit, get them to rattle them loose, can be done in-situ.Failing that, drive down here and our lads will do it for you.

Autozone loan tools for free... but don't know what they loan out.

Heat the surrounding portion that the bolt threads into with a propane torch, smack the head of the bolt with a hammer, get a snug fitting socket & breaker bar and put a bottle jack under the end of the handle.
    gale
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo project finally underway!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast